Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Reporting from China

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #1

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I'd say "reporting from Beijing," but some of these aren't from Beijing.

Here's a small portion of what I've shot in Beijing, on the train to Shanghai and Chenzhou.

Please let me know if these are loading properly. Flickr's behavior in China is a bit eccentric. The images stop loading for me, then start up again later so I can't reliable check my links.

EDIT: Made some additional mistakes due to the fact I couldn't check. How about now?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I'm not seeing any images. There are images on you flickr site though.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #3

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Likewise, no images showing up here, but flickr is working.
Great shots, by the way!

The 'strange bug' is a Cicada. Be careful it's not on the menu! :bleh:

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #4

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
I can see your pictures, there are 5 images visible. Number 1 and 4 appear to be identical.

Great shots btw!

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
dude, China looks weird... :lol:
Photons are your friends! :-)

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #6

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Settled in my room at school now and, after the trench warfare it took to get it setup, I have a much better quality connection than before. Flickr appears to be behaving now as expected. I fixed one of the repeat shots above (thanks, Tiffany), and here's a few more from the train. Not yet into the street-level stuff.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #7

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
You're welcome Leigh. As payment I'll accept being able to look at all your gorgeous pictures. Your latest 3 are excellent. I especially like your treatment of number 3.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #8

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Interesting you should mention "treatment" of the nukes, Tiffany. While everything I shot from the train needed extra help in post to compensate for contrast loss shooting through slightly dirty windows (they weren't openable windows on the train), the cooling towers is the one shot that I painted out a power/phone line out of the sky. Glad you like it.

One more from the train. The girl there is eating a pomegranate, which she insisted we should have a piece of, since she borrowed Dad's pocketknife to open it. Was a good one.

Now, here's breaking into some of what I consider the start of my "good stuff." Below are shots from my dad's hometown of Lanshan, in the Hunan Province. While it's urbanized a lot, it'd still be considered a more rural town. The rail doesn't pass near it, so it's about a three hour drive from the nearest rail stop in Chenzhou. This is already a vast improvement within my lifetime, as at one time the roads were almost entirely still dirt, slowing progress to a crawl. Much more of it is now paved.

This is from the first morning walking through the town (first this trip, not first ever) and where my little Panasonic LX3 proved its worth. I had to shoot really fast to keep up, as we were on the way to the market.

Small manufacturing outfits use the same spaces as the retail shops, and if for no other reason than ventilation, open up completely to the street.

Free-range kids are pretty common. They're usually near the home/businesses of their parents either waiting to be picked up for school, or just occupying the time during business hours.

Full bore street cooking is still all around. This woman is making something I don't believe there is a good English term for. It's kind of like a fried baguette and generally a breakfast food.

More totally transparent manufacturing. All the woodworkers seemed to produce nothing but purely ornamental things.

While it was the same kind of space as the neighboring retail shops and little factories, I think this was just somebody's home.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #9

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
A rather well-camoflaged ATM.

Market day features lots of live food in Lanshan.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #10

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Is there a lot of graffiti on the walls in China? For some reason I imagined the country would be a lot cleaner that what your pictures are showing.

If it's still wriggling in a basin, it isn't food I want to consume!
I'd very quickly become a vegetarian, I think. :bleh:

Keep 'em coming!

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #11

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Thanks Leigh, those are really interesting! I hope school is going well.

Are the graffiti all phone numbers? Seems an odd thing to write though, might as well say "I did this and I live at this address".

And are those eels in number 2? I'm with you Jeff, not very adventurous!

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #12

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Thanks, folks!

School is.. going to be an issue with this reading & writing thing, but I knew that.

Graffiti of such density is not common from what I've seen, and actually far more common in the country than city (Lanshan would be considered the countryside), but there are, for some reasons, phone numbers up in places far from phones and frequently with no accompanying text. I don't have an answer for that.

Things will look very different once I get more Beijing stuff up, but I have a thing about posting in order.

Yes, those are eels. And in fairness to the living food, you are supposed to take it home and make it stop living before you cook it and eat it. :p

One of the fish holding pens in the open market.

Yes, that is a live chicken strapped to the side of the trike.

These vehicles, individually custom made from a chopped motorcycle welded to the additional chassis, are very common, especially in the smaller cities. This one is among the many outfitted as a short-range taxi.

Reporting from China 6 years 8 months ago #13

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Leighgion wrote:
Yes, those are eels. And in fairness to the living food, you are supposed to take it home and make it stop living before you cook it and eat it. :p

Right.. and that's my issue with it! :)
Leighgion wrote:
Yes, that is a live chicken strapped to the side of the trike.
[ http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5010506815_44d78d2155_b.jpg ]
Okay, that is awesome.

For art's sake I love the fish holding pen photo. Very interesting shot.

Reporting from China 6 years 7 months ago #14

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Eventually, my photo path will make it back to Beijing where I am currently residing. For now though, here's more of Lanshan.

Contrary to country stereotypes, this was actually the only free-roving livestock I saw in town. Same rooster a couple mornings would wander around announcing morning.

Seamstresses at work in the covered portion of the marketplace. Not quite the shot I wanted, but best I got.

When you look up in the covered part of the market, you see things like this, which demonstrate the density that the country operates under.

Wider view of part of the covered market. Markets in China are like moss in the Pacific Northwest; both grow in any available space.

After school street shot made for composition and color. No, I haven't yet looked up what the sign says.

Reporting from China 6 years 7 months ago #15

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
This is a fascinating insight into (what I perceive as) the "real" China. I'm loving every update.

Out of curiosity, I realize that Shanghai is a massive distance from Beijing, but did you have any intention of visiting the World's Fair over there at some point? I hear some of those pavilions are quite the sight to behold!
Photons are your friends! :-)
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds