Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #31

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
One from yesterday at Bodega Bay.

Surf and silhouettes - Illford Panf+ ISO50 - yellow filter (not for judging)

645-120204-2 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Edit: oh, this is the water element!

Surf and silhouettes - Illford Panf+ ISO50 - yellow filter - rescanned, cropped, and cleaned up image

645-120204-3 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by blackcloudbrew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #32

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Very nice new series there Jim. Benicia is between Mike and I, although it's a bit closer to Mike. PM us with what day it's going to be if you like there may be a way to hook up.

Unfortunately on this trip I have a very full slate Tim. Would be grest to hang out with you and Mike ne time though. I am doing a lot of running around with distributors and will be on the move from thrre days. Thanks for hte offer though. JIM

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #33

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Ok, such is biz travel. If you have any free time in Benicia, do take a photo walk on the main downtown street all the way to the wharf (good for sunset shots). There are some nice old storefronts etc. there.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #34

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
One from yesterday morning, a small bridge they've done work on and put up retro style lights. Very nice.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #35

• thepandaknows
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Ooh, Sprucehill, that photo is gorgeous! Nice velvety B&W tones. Did you use a star filter on the lights, or just a very small aperture?

J. Scott, "Winter Stream" has a nice "flow" of lines (haha, just kidding!) But seriously, well-composed and the trees' shadows add some extra texture to that snow.

Jimbo, "Wired Morning" has lovely color and is also very visually strong with the lines of the bridge reflected in the water. Nice job!

Dad, "Skylight" is very graphic. Great way to shoot architectural features, in B&W and somewhat out of context. Nice tones.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #36

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
small aperture.

Blackcloudbrew I love "Skylight" that is a really great shot. JIMBO I'm jealous of some of the wide open spaces you capture.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #37

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Tim - great B&W you've captured here. them's some big old waves out there eh?
Dan - lovely job on the bridge and lights. I love the 7 bladed aperture!

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #38

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
I have been charged with the Pentax traveling nifty fifty for a few days. This is a lens that travels the world like a chain letter, each recipient shoots a few from his/her corner of the world and then sends it back on its way.
I took it out Saturday but just didn't have occasion to use it. Thankfully, i took a walk yesterday with my kids and captured a shot of Mt. Diablo from our neighborhood. Then a pack of coyotes ran by us and we made for the house.

Diablo & Post

l o l

Mt. Diablo & Cows

A hundred+ years ago, there were several large coal mines in these hills, producing some 4 million tons of coal. From the historical maps and photos, I've determined there was once a railroad trestle and tunnel in the foreground area of the first and third pics.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by mikeSF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thepandaknows

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #39

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Mike: really like your Diablo & Post. The colors all fit so well. Nicely done. JIM

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #40

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
One more before I head out on a business trip toi Northern CA. Cheers folks and good lukc. A lot of awesome images alredy this week. Everyone is picking up their gsme. JIM

Clouded Black

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #41

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
jimbo - this is a great bridge pic. very lovely in color but even more striking in monochrome. thumbs up!

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #42

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Wow nice new set of shots. Mike your Mt. D and C shot is special. Love the color and feel in that one. Is that near the Black Diamond Mine park? Great shots there guy.

Jimbo, you and that bridge get along just fine and your monochrome shot brings out both the bridge and sky very nicely, well done.

Sprucehill, I really like the sunstars (I suffer from sunstar envy at this point) in the shot but there is just a bit too much flaring around the top light for me. The overall scene is very calming too.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #43

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Love the color and feel in that one. Is that near the Black Diamond Mine park?

Tim, there were about 4 old coal towns within present day Pittsburg and Antioch, all part of present day Black Diamond Mines Regional Park. This is the eastern most town of West Hartley where the Star Mine entrance lies (just behind these hills). The little lake with the cow is a remnant of a railroad tunnel (Empire Railroad) which traveled through the hill beneath present day homes. I doubt any current residents are aware that trains filled with coal once ran through here around the clock.

I do still want to get over to Somersville and the cemetery on the hill; let's plan one of these days, ok?
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by mikeSF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thepandaknows

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #44

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Hey, that's a great idea. Let's plan something for March there. The pioneer cemetery there is a good place for a shoot.

I didn't realize there were more coal towns out there but I knew about Black Diamond Mine. Interesting.

Re: TW3.66 hosted by thepandaknows (Amanda) 2/3/12 to noon 2/11/12 5 years 3 months ago #45

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I've read about the Traveling 50 in the past (weren't there 2 at one point, and one of them got lost?). Glad to see you're putting it through its paces! Very interesting results.

I've only got one to share for now... I feel like I've become a one-trick pony with all these lakeshore sunset pictures, but there always seems to be a new and interesting element to add to the shot. I wish the sky was busier with clouds, unfortunately my control over the weather is limited. I'd say this one has water and fire as elements, and it was FREAKING WINDY and BITTER COLD too.

Waves Of Fire
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Friendly Photon.
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds