Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #61

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
make that most of my lenses because I have way too many. I know that maximizing the f-stop of a lens is not the best way to get optimum sharpness but ...

You are correct that every lens has its sweet spot and it will also depend on available light too. I would at least recommend you weight your tri-pod down when shooting that long. A little wind could effect sharpness too. This is also true when shooting with your tripod in a stream. The old saying was "when in dought, F11, though a lot of older lenses like F8 for some reason. [old film days] Cheers and still one beautiful image. JIM<BO
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #62

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Noted and when necessary you will find a weight or two hanging off my tripod.

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #63

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I went through the whole F-stop range of all my prime lenses to figure out where their optimum sharpness lies. I even have notes on it in a notepad somewhere. In most cases, it turned out to be in a range where the lens is meant to be used (ie. F5.6 for my 21mm Limited, F4 for my 43mm Limited, etc). In almost no case was optimum sharpness achieved at F8 or higher. For that reason, I don't really bother chasing the elusive "optimum sharpness" anymore. I just pick whatever works best for a given scene to get the right amount of the scene acceptably sharp.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #64

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Interesting viewpoint. I think I'm more in your 'camp' so to speak anyway. While I want sharp, I also want the biggest depth of field as I can get (within reason) so the higher the f-stop I can get the better or so I tend to think in the field. I do know that at some point towards the smallest aperture a lens can exhibit degradation from diffraction. That may not be exactly how to say it but that's my understanding. Anyway, until I can get into the f64 club (with the 8x10 view camera that I don't own), I typically want the smallest f-stop I can get away with.

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #65

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Two somewhat abstract HDR images from Friday morning's photo shoot at the Golden Gate Bridge

Red tide (line)

_IGP8252_3_4 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Harding Rock Bouy tidal flows

_IGP8261_2_3 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

and one more for fun

Sun(hd)rise

_IGP8236_37_38_39_40 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #66

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
until I can get into the f64 club

I am consideirng a 8/10 Large Format camera. [old school film] I have been reading up on these for over a year. Maybe. Planning on a coarse first to see if it fits me. As far as F stops go, its all about the surrounding light and how it supports or takes away from the shadow areas. I use to crank it to F22 on almost all my landscape shots and only use 100-200 ISO. Not anymore but everyone has their own approach to photography and for me its the journey that is the real fun. Learning to push yourself when behind the camera. Move around the space and don't be afraid to experiment. Most teachings or books are guide lines to the learning process. Cheers and good shooting. JIM

www.canhamcameras.com/8x10lightweight.htm

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #67

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
I didn't think I'd get a chance to shoot this weekend - but the laundromat is a stone's throw away from the cemetery. Once I got everything started, I took off for 20 minutes to mess around.

Infrared done with Hoya R72 filter.

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #68

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
@RM - your landscapes are always pleasing to the eye. These are stunning!

@tiff - great job on the flowers. i like the comp on the dry flowers and the wet look of the others.

@Mongooz - great droplet shot. i hope you will catch that single droplet suspended in the air and post it up.

@dan - are these IR? i love the cemetery setting and that first pic is great!

@BCB - love the bridge shot. say, what bridge is this?

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #69

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
i have new stuff but not much has been processed yet.

Here is one from last evening in Marin:

Rat Island

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #70

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
very nice stuff this week. I'll try to be more specific later on, it's been quite busy lately.
this is some elite chrome from my Berlin week

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #71

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
some of the photos are overly cropped because of some issues with the scans

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #72

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal

#9.5

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #73

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
mikeSF wrote:

@dan - are these IR? i love the cemetery setting and that first pic is great!

Thanks Mike, yes they are IR - unmodified camera using a Hoya R72 filter. I haven't used it in a while and thought I would try again.

I didn't realize how much it helps covering the viewfinder - I had lots of stray light issues on long exposures in the past before I figured out that was the problem.

I guess since I may not be up at midnight this could be extended until 2:30 EST Monday, when I get out of work and most likely have time to go through all the great pictures.. Wow this is going to be a hard job this week!

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #74

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
JIMBO wrote:
until I can get into the f64 club

I am consideirng a 8/10 Large Format camera. [old school film] I have been reading up on these for over a year. Maybe. Planning on a coarse first to see if it fits me. As far as F stops go, its all about the surrounding light and how it supports or takes away from the shadow areas. I use to crank it to F22 on almost all my landscape shots and only use 100-200 ISO. Not anymore but everyone has their own approach to photography and for me its the journey that is the real fun. Learning to push yourself when behind the camera. Move around the space and don't be afraid to experiment. Most teachings or books are guide lines to the learning process. Cheers and good shooting. JIM

www.canhamcameras.com/8x10lightweight.htm

Interesting. Actually, I'm not sure if I really am interested in an 8x10, I might go to 4x5 (inches) as that tends to be a bit more portable. I've been shooting with a 645 for the past year and a half and a 6x7 since last fall and they are very useful but s l o w to work with. Who knows at this point for me, I sure don't. I was kinda teasing about the 8x10 camera but I sure would be interesting working with one.

Re: TW3 #73 hosted by Dan (sprucehill) 4/22 - 4/29 midnight 6 years 5 months ago #75

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
mikeSF wrote:
i have new stuff but not much has been processed yet.

Here is one from last evening in Marin:

Excellent framing and POV on that little Rat Island. Excellent work.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by blackcloudbrew.
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds