Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: give your children a big hug today.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
After what happened in the elementary school in Connecticut today I hope that all you parents give your children a big hug and tell them how much you love them today. I also hope that no one here had loved ones in the school.

Wanja and I have decided than we had better sit down and discus where we want to live before we haveany children. Although we know that no place is completely safe, we are hoping on minimizing the dangers as much as possible.
It's a scary world out there, and seems to be getting worst every day.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Noble sentiment. However, having children is not a logical process, children...well...just happen same as life. You keep them safe as you can but the world is full of dangers and idiots. If you raise your children as well as you can instilling your values, hopefully they will be fine.

When my first one was born we said, 10 fingers and 10 toes, not too bad. Nothing else guaranteed.

One can rail against senseless tragedies like today in Connecticut but there are many other examples, all too often around the world of such senseless cruelty. I'm afraid we are getting used to it.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #3

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
I agree with BCB, don't over-think the kid situation. People instinctively protect their offspring regardless of where they live. Hazards abound in this big old nasty world despite where we choose to live and we have to make the best of it.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #4

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
As cruel as today was [none of us know how these families truely feel] unfortunately the .1% nuts out there will always be there. I am sure once we know the whole story it will make us rethink a lot of things. The real trouble hear is the age of these kids. [5-10 years old] The innocent in life are always in the path of insanity in all parts of the world. I for one will be praying for the living family members as they will never be at peace again!

JIM

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #5

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Made this big old redneck tear up. I have one in elementary school. Can't fathom the whole thing.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #6

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Definitely... so senseless.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 1 month ago #7

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
I was shocked when I heard what happened in Connecticut, it's unimaginable.
I agree about thinking well of the place one would like to raise their children, I've been thinking about it myself an for now I decided that I don't want to do it here in Jerusalem. I'm not planning on procreating soon so that might change, but it is a tough decision.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #8

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
There's an interesting side-story to this tragedy:

The family of one of the children who was killed were Canadians who had JUST moved down from Winnipeg, MB 2 months before. They went from a city with one of the highest crime rates in Canada to a safe, sleepy little town in tiny Connecticut. And then the tragedy happened.

To me, this just goes to show that where you are has little bearing on how safe your children will be. Horrible things can happen anywhere, and worrying too much about it won't necessarily improve the chances of your child "making it".
Photons are your friends! :-)

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #9

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
FP, thanks for posting that factoid. Somehow to say 'bummer' about that is nowhere near good enough.

I will say that while this is tragic and a lot of that has to do with the fact that it was very young children, but what about those victims in Portland, what about those in Syria, the 1,000 dead from the typhoon in the Philippines (the lowest storm track in recorded history in the Pacific), what about other similar senseless examples? I feel that because this happened near NYC the massive media market in the US that this event has gotten more focus that the other tragedies. Children died there too, which ones are more important? [sorry for this rant]

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #10

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
My first thoughts are always for the children when I hear about any disaster, be it natural or not. All those senseless deaths are tragic. I think what makes this seem more tragic is the unexpectedness of it. You expect atrocities in war, and tragedies from natural disasters. But not in sleepy little American towns where people are assumed to be "safe".

Also, Connecticut is a hop and a skip away from here. We have friends who have family there, and most Vermonters also have family and friends there. That makes it even more shocking for us locally. Proximity has a very large effect on how people react to events.
Photons are your friends! :-)

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #11

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I know and I understand.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #12

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
BCB - its not a matter of which tragedy is worse , it's about which is harder to understand. I find it impossible to understand how a human being could target babies. Just think about what the Panda looked like in 1st grade and you'll know what I mean.

give your children a big hug today. 5 years 4 weeks ago #13

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Oh, I remember and I have 3 1/2 grandchildren as well.
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds