Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Earthquake

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #1

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Could we get a check in from our Bay Area members please ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #2

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Was just thinking that too. JIM

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #3

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for asking but that was so 24-hours ago... :whistle:

MikeSF - per his posts on Facebook yesterday slept through it. I did not. The epicenter is about 26 miles southwest of my home. Here is a post I sent to a friend from Ozzyland this morning which says it all for me.

"Thanks for checking in on this with me. I was about 26 miles northwest of the epicenter of the quake. It hit here about 3:21am. I happened to be partly awake in bed and it definitely rocked and rolled the house. I don't know what the duration was 5, 10, or 15 seconds but long enough to realize that this was a major quake. I sat there listening for glasses braking and only herd tinkling not breaking. Then it was over, my wife was up immediately and we both jumped on Facebook! Oh my, are we stupid social media addicts!

Anyway, this 6.1 quake while quite strong really only caused damage in the two towns just north and south of the epicenter. While I did a brief check of my house, it was ok as were we. Several of our friends living in Napa did indicate on Facebook that they had the usual big clean up of broken stuff.

Honestly, from my perspective, this one was yet another wake up call to us northern Californians that we live in earthquake country and we need to be prepare for the next one or the big one. Given that the last good quake was in 1989 here, we needed this reminder. I was born in San Francisco and have lived most of my life here, earthquakes are a fact of life. No one died in this one and frankly there was the usual damage although I think even that was small. Once again, it happened at night, on a weekend, when most people were asleep and at home. We were, once again, lucky here. I can also say from personal experience with the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, that the story of these quakes or disasters tends to get inflated the farther you are away from them. There is a fault in the hills near by my house, when it goes, and it will someday, things will be much different where I live.

Thanks for checking in my friend, hope you are well too. Tim"

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #4

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Thanks for asking but that was so 24-hours ago... :whistle:

"

Well y'all know it takes a while for news to get over here to Mayberry.

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Somehow I don't think of you as Mayberry, Mayberry Beach perhaps but not Mayberry. Regardless, your interest on our little temblor is welcome. I recall we were equally concerned for you last year (?) for a passing hurricane and FP/TP a while back for the great New England winter washout. I'm always glad to know that this group of virtual friends is ok.

As I said above, the farther you are away from something like this the more distorted view you get through the media (or at least that is my experience going back to the 1989 Loma Preita Quake).

Edit - I did give it some brief thought of heading over there and snapping a few disasters picts but...there was a major IRL car race at Sonoma Raceway Sunday and I didn't want to get caught up in the heavy event traffic as it was between my home and Napa.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #6

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
nice response Tim and glad the blackcloudbrewers are safe and sound in Sonoma county!

I am 34 miles from the epicenter in the other direction and we had 5 people in the house, and NONE of us noticed anything at all. I went to bed at 0100 and two of the boys (having a sleepover) stayed up till about 2, but we all must've been in heavy slumber by 0320 when the quake hit. None of the breakables in the house were disturbed here, but our thoughts are with friends in Napa and AmCan who had some definite property damage. I know there were some injuries reported; not sure if any fatalities as I do not watch the news.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by mikeSF.

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #7

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
No fatalities have been reported. A lot (several hundred) of folks got cuts and bruises from things falling on them, or during clean up.

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #8

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
well that is a relief

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #9

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for asking but that was so 24-hours ago

We thought it would have taken 24 hours to dig yourself out, We did not want to look like vultures hanging on the fence either. Great to hear all is well in Northern CA. Sometimes one can not win from loosing!

I, like Mike, slept threw it here in Beautiful BC, though I am a sound sleeper! JIM

Earthquake 3 years 4 months ago #10

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, if you have business in Napa or Vallejo, you might want to call ahead before you go there but that's about it.
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds