Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale

Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale 8 years 2 months ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Sorry that I haven't had the time to read the article, but I thought that this story might interest some people here.
[url:28u08eie]ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100727/world...nsel_adams_lost_work[/url]
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale 8 years 2 months ago #2

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
The sad thing about this story is that it is no longer about art, it is about money. It's entirely possible that the estate of Adams would not authenticate them merely because they do not have control of them. The person who is in possession of the negatives has got his Hollywood lawyer who will do everything in his power to authenticate them even if they weren't taken by Adams because that's where his big paycheck will come from.
If a multi-millionaire, philanthropist, art lover had discovered them, they would have been donated and authentication would be more certain.

Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale 8 years 2 months ago #3

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
You're right Gary , it's pretty sad . I can't believe that Adams' son had the audacity to say that even if the negatives were real that they are virtually worthless without the special Adams darkroom technique.

Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale 8 years 2 months ago #4

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Here is the actual blog post from his son.

[url:22ywqn1p]theanseladamsgallery.blogspot.com/2010/0...27-2010-article.html[/url]

I think his remarks speak to caution and facts.

Ansel Adams photographs discovered at a garage sale 8 years 2 months ago #5

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
DamnRedneck wrote:
You're right Gary , it's pretty sad . I can't believe that Adams' son had the audacity to say that even if the negatives were real that they are virtually worthless without the special Adams darkroom technique.

I wouldn't say "Worthless", but he's right to an extent, someone could pull off a pretty good print job from these negatives but it wouldn't be Adams' work.
The story was on the local news last night and an Adams expert said that he had never heard of the experts who had authenticated the negatives, and the art world is a relatively small community.
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds