Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Scuba Diving, Check

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Sorry if this post is more poorly written than normal. I'm tired, and not thinking the best.

Although it was in a pool today was the day I finally took the plunge, scuba diving.

It's been tough even getting any time off from the photo lab, so today was the first chance I had.

When the instructor saw that both back and lung injuries on my checklist he pointed out that I should really get my doctors consent before diving in. However since I look like I'm in pretty good shape he left me go, with the understanding that I can't proceed any further without seeing my doctor and getting a form signed.
That's all I was hoping for and more than fair.

The first few minutes under water were a little weird. Although it was easy breathing it was still like my mind telling my body that it's wrong. So I was only taking shallow quick breaths until I was able to relax.
Kicking around in the pool was easy enough, however some more exercises like taking my mask off and putting it back on were tough to master. With my reduced lung capacity I probably had a tougher time than most people would, since draining the water from the mask requires blowing air out your nose.
I did have to pop up once, when I panicked a little for no reason at all. 30 seconds later I got my composure back, and was able to go down again.

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and am at least hoping that my doctor will agree to let me take the full course. He probably will, since he wants me getting as much exercise as possible.... plus rusts my judgment.

If your like me, and always wanted to try Scuba. And yet never have, I highly recommend it.
I can't say about other places, but over here the Discovery Scuba which I took is only $55.00. Well worth every penny.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #2

• graphicgr8s
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 2
SCUBA is definitely fun. My father was a diver in the service so we were in the water 8 hours a day during the summer school vacation. Never needed certification wheb he was alive since he'd trained us and always had the tanks filled under his cert. Never did a deep dive just 40 feet or so. Heck as a teen I could do 45 in a free dive. Not bad for a pack a day smoker. Haven't been in the water though in about 12 years. Wait till you get to dive down in the waters of the Caribbean.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet.
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem.

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #3

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Sounds like fun Stu! I trust you'll have fun and we'll be seeing 'wet' photography soon.

(Reminds me of the introductory flight I took in a Cessna 152. Only cost $50 and I was hooked! Never did buy a plane but I did get my Private Pilot License. My only words of caution would be towards the expense of the hobby. Ask around and get an honest appraisal of what it may cost you in the end.)

Re: Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #4

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I don't get along that well with submersion in water, but I'd do that for $55.

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
For me, being able to breathe underwater would be one of the most thrilling experiences ever. I've done a lot of snorkeling, but there's really no good place to do scuba diving around here. I've always loved swimming, and I'm always trying to stay under as long as possible.

...maybe someday...
Photons are your friends! :-)

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #6

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I tried it on Bora Bora in Tahiti. I think it cost quite a bit more than you paid Stu, but on the other hand, it was on an actual reef and we also saw sharks and eagle rays.

It is one of my dreams to get certified but once that happens, then one has to finance the bug, tht part really scares me.

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #7

• graphicgr8s
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 2
Friendly Photon wrote:
For me, being able to breathe underwater would be one of the most thrilling experiences ever. I've done a lot of snorkeling, but there's really no good place to do scuba diving around here. I've always loved swimming, and I'm always trying to stay under as long as possible.

...maybe someday...
Frank, I can get you to stay under for quite a long time. 0:) )

Gary, once you've invested in the equipment there is only the tank refills. Basic setup for me was fins, a good mask, snorkel and tanks. A wet suit if you're a woosie. Back when I learned though it was definitely a lot cheaper. BC's weren't around and all the regulators were dual hose. I still have mine. Never got a wet suit. Not even for diving in Long Island Sound. My father had both a wet and a dry suit. Used the dry suit while diving the waters in the winter time.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet.
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem.

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #8

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
graphicgr8s wrote:
Gary, once you've invested in the equipment there is only the tank refills. Basic setup for me was fins, a good mask, snorkel and tanks. A wet suit if you're a woosie. Back when I learned though it was definitely a lot cheaper. BC's weren't around and all the regulators were dual hose. I still have mine. Never got a wet suit. Not even for diving in Long Island Sound. My father had both a wet and a dry suit. Used the dry suit while diving the waters in the winter time.

I was thinking more along the lines of the cost of getting to and staying at the places that I would want to dive.

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #9

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of the cost of getting to and staying at the places that I would want to dive.
Seriously... I bet diving Lake Champlain over and over again would get boring. How am I supposed to find sunken pirate treasure there?!?

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #10

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:
Seriously... I bet diving Lake Champlain over and over again would get boring. How am I supposed to find sunken pirate treasure there?!?

You don't. Champlain is where you go monster hunting. Right lake for the right purpose. :p

Re: Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #11

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
graphicgr8s wrote:
SCUBA is definitely fun. My father was a diver in the service so we were in the water 8 hours a day during the summer school vacation. Never needed certification wheb he was alive since he'd trained us and always had the tanks filled under his cert. Never did a deep dive just 40 feet or so. Heck as a teen I could do 45 in a free dive. Not bad for a pack a day smoker. Haven't been in the water though in about 12 years. Wait till you get to dive down in the waters of the Caribbean.
It sounds like you had a fun childhood George,
I'd love to dive in the Caribbean, however I was dreaming about Hawaii first. It must have been those episodes of Hawaii/5-O.
J.Scott wrote:
Sounds like fun Stu! I trust you'll have fun and we'll be seeing 'wet' photography soon.

(Reminds me of the introductory flight I took in a Cessna 152. Only cost $50 and I was hooked! Never did buy a plane but I did get my Private Pilot License. My only words of caution would be towards the expense of the hobby. Ask around and get an honest appraisal of what it may cost you in the end.)
It was fun Jeff, and if I get into it don't be surprised if those photos start appearing soon.
I've already looked into underwater housings, and cameras.

I wouldn't mind trying flying sometime. It would be nice just renting a plane and flying into those remote fishing villages. Possibly Scuba resorts soon.
Friendly Photon wrote:

...maybe someday...
It isn't like there's any good lakes for diving in over here 0:) )

Googling up "Lake Champlain history, pirates" it looks like there may have been some Pirate activity. So you never know :)
Damn Brit wrote:
I tried it on Bora Bora in Tahiti. I think it cost quite a bit more than you paid Stu, but on the other hand, it was on an actual reef and we also saw sharks and eagle rays.

It is one of my dreams to get certified but once that happens, then one has to finance the bug, tht part really scares me.
I'm glad that you tried it Gary :)
Although the initial expense isn't cheap the cost of a bottle re-fill is around $10.00 here. Which isn't bad for the amount of entertainment you get.

As for the dive locations your dreaming about. Although it's slow at the moment I've had a few free trips, and actually gotten paid for a couple... by just letting them know "I Have Camera, Will Travel"
It won't always get you to your dream location, however it does work from time to time.
Leighgion wrote:
You don't. Champlain is where you go monster hunting. Right lake for the right purpose. :p
I wish that we had a monster in the Okanagan lake 0:) )
http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en& ... m&gs_rfai=

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #12

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:
I already found Champy ages ago. He runs a car wash in Essex, Champy's Car Wash :lol:
Kelowna Artist wrote:
It isn't like there's any good lakes for diving in over here 0:) )

Googling up "Lake Champlain history, pirates" it looks like there may have been some Pirate activity. So you never know :)
Actually, looking up scuba diving in Lake Champlain, I found that there's a big market for it here. There are a bunch of sunken vessels to explore for scuba divers of all skill levels. Sounds more and more interesting! And thanks to the rampant zebra mussels infestation :'( ) )

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #13

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:
I already found Champy ages ago. He runs a car wash in Essex, Champy's Car Wash :lol:

Pillar of the local community? :P

Scuba Diving, Check 8 years 1 month ago #14

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I found out today that Canada's first freshwater scuba-diving and snorkeling park is close to my house. So I'm even more excited now :D
[url:1ihgsv11]www.serpentaquatics.com/dive-sites/dive-...incial_park_-_vernon[/url]
Oh, the host site is whom I took my dive through.

Since I have Tuesday off I'm hoping on dragging along my best friend, and both of our girlfriends for a morning of snorkeling there.
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds