Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Has anyone here taken Cinematography?

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I'm looking at a career change soon, and have been seeing a career councilor, and even taken an aptitude test earlier this week.

Oddly enough, it appears that I scored high for a career in the arts, photographer being one of my 4 highest.
However, at least where I'm presently living, it's a dead end road with over 200 people willing to shoot weddings for under $200.00, and often for free. I won't try competing with them, loosing money while I'm at it.

When my girlfriend looked at the forms, she noticed that cinematographer is up there as well. She'd love to see me getting into it, and I know that I'd love it.
However I have a few questions before I look too far.

1a. I've never even turned on a video camera. Is it an easy or hard transition going from still cameras to moving cameras?
1b. Will my knowledge gained from my still photography hurt or help me?

2a. Say that I go through with the courses, finishing among the top of the class. Do I have a good chance making a decent living at it?
2b. Would I have to constantly be on the road to make a good living?

Then the final question, at this time.
If I decide to go through with it, what schools around British Columbia, Canada would you recommend.
The only one in this area is the digital arts school, and I can't help feeling that I'd be missing something if I didn't learn something about film as well.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #2

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I don't know about 1a and 1b. I've done a bunch of cinematography in the past as a hobby, but it was over 10 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then.

As far as 2a and 2b, BC is the film capital of Canada!!! Of course you can make a good living at it. You'd probably have to move closer to Vancouver or something, though. There's huge film companies all over that area, from large commercial firms to independent ones. A lot of the most popular TV series are currently produced in Vancouver and Seattle.

But you know, photography is more than just weddings. There's countless facets to it that you could explore rather than change career path altogether. Or you could combine photography with something else... like I'm trying to do.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #3

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Thanks Frank,

I can work in wet, or cold environments for short periods of time, however due to my back and lung problems I'm pretty much stuck living where I'm at. Unless I want to leave Canada. This might be an option in the future, but not right now.

I've been a featured artist in a couple of galleries, done a little freelance work for a paper, and what not. However the papers and magazines around here aren't hiring, and won't be any time soon, plus the galleries just aren't selling anything for a realistic price.
Trust me, I'd love nothing more than getting a phone call from National or Canadian Geographic asking me to be their next shooter.
However I can't see photography paying my bills until that happens, and I need something that will.

The career councilor I'm seeing absolutely loves my work, would love to see me make it doing what I love, and even owns one of my pieces, but she can't see it paying off at this time either.

One option I've been thinking of is to take medical imaging, which does interest me even though I was always lousy at bio.

It looks like I may have funding for some training, it just has to be a realistic field where I have a good chance of getting a good job after.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #4

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Kelowna Artist wrote:
However I can't see photography paying my bills until that happens, and I need something that will.

One option I've been thinking of is to take medical imaging, which does interest me even though I was always lousy at bio.

It looks like I may have funding for some training, it just has to be a realistic field where I have a good chance of getting a good job after.

With medical imaging you would have the freedom to work anywhere, so that might be a good option. And depending on how you want to work you don't need to know any anatomy. If you want to be a tech versus a radiologist for example, you basically just run the machine, and that would give you freedom to work as needed. And they have a lot of different technology as far as imaging, hospital work or a smaller medical office would likely need techs for the different machines.

As for cinematography, I really have no knowledge of that field, but I would think, being an excellent photographer as you are could only help. Framing, etc. are a big part of any type of photography.

Best wishes whatever you decide to try! :)

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #5

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Thanks new2photo ,

It can be tough finding something new to do at my age, however I'm enjoying the adventure.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 2 months ago #6

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
At your age? Aren't you, like, my age? (more or less)

I've been:

- warehouse cronie
- web designer
- graphic designer
- customer service rep
- recycling center rep
- sales clerk
- auto body mechanic
- auto paint lab technician
- welder

...and now I've taken up photography. Changing careers is what keeps life fun and interesting :lol: Eventually, you keep certain aspects from careers you've enjoyed, combine them together and turn them into your perfect calling. At least, that's the way I've done it. Sure, it may not lead to vast amounts of money, but it beats doing a job you hate for your entire life!

P.S. I'm 33, going on 34 in a couple months.

edit: oops, I forgot...
- IT tech

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #7

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Ah hah! I was waiting on confirmation from a friend of mine. Apparently the Vancouver Film School (VFS) is highly regarded as far as learning cinematography goes. If you're interested in pursuing that line of career, definitely check them out.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #8

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
I believe that things happen for a reason. Move forward with your heart. Like most folks I've had a variety of occupations and have no regrets with the choices I have made. You'll be just fine.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #9

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I've got a few friends in the film industry, and the general consensus is that those who study cinematography don't usually become cinematographers. Luck, stamina, self promotion and talent (in no particular order) seem to be the main requirements.
I have found the same to be true when it comes to photography. The school makes a $100,000 out of you and you have your dreams shattered. It took me a couple of semesters to figure that out, there are much better ways to invest that money and advance ones career.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #10

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Friendly Photon wrote:
At your age? Aren't you, like, my age? (more or less)

I've been:

- warehouse cronie
- web designer
- graphic designer
- customer service rep
- recycling center rep
- sales clerk
- auto body mechanic
- auto paint lab technician
- welder

...and now I've taken up photography. Changing careers is what keeps life fun and interesting :lol: Eventually, you keep certain aspects from careers you've enjoyed, combine them together and turn them into your perfect calling. At least, that's the way I've done it. Sure, it may not lead to vast amounts of money, but it beats doing a job you hate for your entire life!

P.S. I'm 33, going on 34 in a couple months.

edit: oops, I forgot...
- IT tech
I'm just a little older than you, at 41 :'( '(
I guess that I have done about as much as you, I've been a
-Automotive Technician (first year apprentice)
-Landscaper
-Carpenter
-Heavy Equipment Operator
-Car Salesman
-Photographer
-Photo Lab Technician.
I liked almost everything other than the retail end of the photo lab.
Friendly Photon wrote:
Ah hah! I was waiting on confirmation from a friend of mine. Apparently the Vancouver Film School (VFS) is highly regarded as far as learning cinematography goes. If you're interested in pursuing that line of career, definitely check them out.
Thanks Frank,
I was on their web site earlier, and I'll be looking into it some more. I know that they have an excellent reputation, for a reason.
J.Scott wrote:
I believe that things happen for a reason. Move forward with your heart. Like most folks I've had a variety of occupations and have no regrets with the choices I have made. You'll be just fine.
Thanks Jeff,
You can bet that I'll be doing just that.
Damn Brit wrote:
I've got a few friends in the film industry, and the general consensus is that those who study cinematography don't usually become cinematographers. Luck, stamina, self promotion and talent (in no particular order) seem to be the main requirements.
I have found the same to be true when it comes to photography. The school makes a $100,000 out of you and you have your dreams shattered. It took me a couple of semesters to figure that out, there are much better ways to invest that money and advance ones career.
Thanks Gary,
The local photography school is the ones who've killed the local photography trade. They're the ones who've convinced all their students that they should go out there and undercut everyone until they're working for pretty much nothing.
Then stupid thing is, I've had to print several of their students pic's, and I wouldn't exactly call them worth the paper they're printed on.
It's also the only local motion picture school in the area. For some reason I don't think that I'll be heading there any time soon.

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #11

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Kelowna Artist wrote:
I'm just a little older than you, at 41 :'( '(
I guess that I have done about as much as you, I've been a
-Automotive Technician (first year apprentice)
-Landscaper
-Carpenter
-Heavy Equipment Operator
-Car Salesman
-Photographer
-Photo Lab Technician.
I liked almost everything other than the retail end of the photo lab.

To give you a frame of reference, when I was in optometry school, another student was 45 and had 2 kids and she still took on this 8 year commitment. So you've got time and choices! :) lol:

Has anyone here taken Cinematography? 8 years 1 month ago #12

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I'm not in the movie business, but I've skirted around on the edge of it. My college roommate went to film school (teaches now) and it's happened that two my classmates here Beijing right now also studied film, one them from Vancouver.

Notably, neither of my two classmates work in film.

We talked a little about this, and my Vancouver classmate said that even in Vancouver with all the shooting going on, that the competition is very cutthroat. Getting work relies a great deal on knowing the right people, as there's a lot of qualified hands in the pool clamoring for the jobs. She said that found documentary work most rewarding, but the funding for that was severely limited and thusly not a reliable way to make a living.

This is not to say there's no way to break in, but everything I've learned about the business says that one's actual skill is just the start of getting work.
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds