Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Whatdaya think of these?

Whatdaya think of these? 4 years 3 weeks ago #31

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Nice counter point to my shots. Thanks. BTW, I have no doubt that the guards might let you in but would very much frown on letting you out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Whatdaya think of these? 4 years 3 weeks ago #32

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
In the case of your shots, Tim, I think things got worse the more processing was applied.

The first looks good. The HDR treatment can be seen if you peer at it, but doesn't punch you in the face. When I look at this, I see the sun low over the water and technical matters are secondary.

The second looks... peculiar to my eyes. B&W and this particular kind of tone mapping don't mate well.

The third looks straight up unnatural to me and not in a good way. The orange sun looks like orange out of a computer, not the real sun at all.

Going on a bit of a tangent, these HDR issues made me think of a scene in Terminator 2, which I recently caught again on TV. Sarah is watching the children of one of her old cohorts play under the setting sun while she ponders her next move. It was shot at golden hour and the light was gorgeous. Warm and soft but with nothing in common with what HDR software thinks golden hour sun should look like.

Whatdaya think of these? 4 years 3 weeks ago #33

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Interesting. Many thanks for this feedback. More things to chew on and consider.

The Terminator 2 comment and contrast is food for further thought. Thanks.
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds