Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Film is not dead!

Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #1

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Really nice CNN video on film. It runs about 6 minutes. I have to say that this is what I've found in coming back to it this past year. Check this out.

CNN video.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by blackcloudbrew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #2

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Film is not dead, because film was never alive.

However, film is produced using gelatin, which comes from the bones of the dead.

Using the parts of the dead mixed with silver and chemicals in order to capture images could be construed as necromancy.

Ergo, film is undead and we film shooters are nosfotographers. :cool:

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #3

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
hmm... morbid much? :lol:

edit: Just so I can be contrarian too, film isn't "analog" at all, it's actually more "digital" than so-called digital photography. Silver halides can only be either black or not, there is no in-between. The number and size of blackened silver halides is what creates transition between shades (and what creates "grain").

On the other hand, the light sensors on digital cameras are completely analog, and the analog signal from each sensor gets converted to a digital value (0 to 255) by a converter.

So the whole world has it wrong! :lol:
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Friendly Photon.

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #4

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Um...that wasn't really what the video was about guys. However, please suggest another title for this thread that conveys the 'appropriate' message. Sheesh, picky, picky, picky.

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I'm not sure I agree with the condescending tone some of the interviewees have towards digital cameras. It's silly to dismiss new tools just because more people can use them to create piles of crap. All of the reasons they stated for using film over digital sounded more nostalgic than practical, as far as I could tell.

Don't get me wrong, I still use film myself. I enjoy it greatly. But learning photography is a whole lot easier when I don't have to worry about the ultimate cost of each frame of film.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #6

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I think what touched me on this was some of the scenes from the student/teacher stuff. Having just done that all last spring, it really brought it (what I enjoyed, learned, and remembered) all back. I was with a lot of kids who had never shot film, much less developed their own stuff etc. This is really a quite different world now for younger folk. I'm convinced that if you want to learn photography and/or teach it to beginners, start with a fully manual film SLR. It's so basic, yet so completely fundamental too. Honestly, when I took my digital photography class in the Fall of 2009, what was the first requirement by the teacher? Shoot everything in manual, why? To learn the fundamentals, but I digress.

Anyway, condescending tone aside, I liked feelings in the video of the discovery (or rediscovery) of film as a medium of choice.

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #7

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
The condescension really isn't bad at all in that video. Gets a lot worse, and it's really no different than the attitude of any fan of one thing vs another.

That piece was nicely enough produced and I liked the mix of people they got to talk on camera, but I find it that it ends up with the same problem as most all conversation about film use in the digital era in that film's appeal is presented in vague and almost completely emotional terms. "Because I like it," is a totally valid reason to do something, but a news story should really dig deeper than that.

Citing the "magic of the darkroom," "depth that digital lacks," and general richness of a film workflow are all, as Frank says, emotional arguments. You can bring up them with other film enthusiasts, your close friends and sometimes even digital-only photographers, but to the general public they just sound like fan talk. "Learning is best with an all-manual film SLR," can be debated in more concrete terms, but even then I think it's a lousy argument in this day and age if you have any real interest in winning converts.

Even if the intention isn't to win people over to film, I think the above doesn't even genuinely convey the appeal of the medium. Granted, if you think about it, it's not surprising that almost nobody puts forth more coherent statements about the appeal of film, since what makes a photographer a good photographer is the ability to implement, not explain, their sense of aesthetics.

Re: Film is not dead! 7 years 3 months ago #8

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I think you make very valid points Leighgion. Well said.
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds