Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: a Duck and a Pond

a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I was out in a local park the other day, and couldn't resist photographing this girl.

Then, later on I photographed this pond.

sorry for the dust spots.

now that I'm done in the lab, my passion for photography is returning and along with it is my interest in pushing the limits and trying new things again.
So, don't be surprised if my work isn't consistent while I'm going through this transition.
I almost wish I could afford the Sigma SD1, when it comes out and see what I could do with that..... but having a girlfriend has pushed that date back :pinch:
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #2

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Cool shots Stu! Glad to know your interest is returning. :-)

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #3

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Great to see you back in the game! Looking forward to seeing lots more from you :D

(my own photography is beyond inconsistent...)
Kelowna Artist wrote:
I almost wish I could afford the Sigma SD1, when it comes out and see what I could do with that..... but having a girlfriend has pushed that date back :pinch:
Don't worry... NO-ONE can afford the SD1 when it's finally available.

$9700 USD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTF!!!!!
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #4

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Thank you, and Thank you :-)Friendly Photon wrote:
Great to see you back in the game! Looking forward to seeing lots more from you :D

(my own photography is beyond inconsistent...)
Kelowna Artist wrote:
Don't worry... NO-ONE can afford the SD1 when it's finally available.

I'm sure hoping that price is WRONG, but then again if it isn't I now have a backup plan.
Switching to a Leica, when I can afford to. It's honestly a better system for me anyways and it looks like it'll cost less than Sigma now along with a better name and better grade lenses.

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #5

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:

:[ :o

where's the 'holly crap' emoticon?
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Pablo.

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #6

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Kelowna Artist wrote:
I'm sure hoping that price is WRONG, but then again if it isn't I now have a backup plan.
Switching to a Leica, when I can afford to. It's honestly a better system for me anyways and it looks like it'll cost less than Sigma now along with a better name and better grade lenses.

I think we've skipped a conversation of interest here, Stu.

What reasonings are you looking to swap systems? What on Earth made you initially fix your attention on an Sigma SD1? And how is it the next choice is Leica, which totally different but close to equally expensive?

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #7

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I look at this differently, I'm thinking that the SD1 will provide a major competition item to the Pentax 645D and most likely cause Pentax to drop their price on that by, oh...say $50 or so. That ought to get some interest going.

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #8

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:
What reasonings are you looking to swap systems? What on Earth made you initially fix your attention on an Sigma SD1? And how is it the next choice is Leica, which totally different but close to equally expensive?
He already has a Sigma (SD14 I think). The SD1 seemed like a perfectly logical step up until that mind-blowing price announcement.

And if switching to Leica costs less than "upgrading" to an SD1, more power to him!

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #9

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
I look at this differently, I'm thinking that the SD1 will provide a major competition item to the Pentax 645D.
riiiiiight... an interpolated "46mp" image (actually just 15mp in real life) from a sensor that's smaller than APS-C and apparently is so hard to manufacture, they're still not able to put any models in stores 7+ months after the original announcement.

I bet there are throngs of people just begging to drop $9700 on that.

...does that include a lens?

...does it include EVERY Sigma lens?

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #10

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Leighgion wrote:
Kelowna Artist wrote:

I think we've skipped a conversation of interest here, Stu.

Frank is right, I switched from Pentax Digital to Sigma around 3 years ago because it was better suited to my artistic style. However, Leica is even more suitable just at a price I couldn't afford until now.
I honestly would have bought the Sigma SD1 in the next month or 2 + an 85mm f1.4 if they would have charged a reasonable price. Most of us were banking on around the $2,000 US mark. I had made arrangements for around $3,000, which should have been plenty.

Now that Sigma is asking an insane price, pretty much 500% more than they originally told us it'd be I'll probably switch brands, and Leica is my top choice.

I'm not the only one pee'd off at them. I got a PM in DPR from one of the most respected landscape photographers presently living in the USA last night (no I won't mention names) and here is what he said.
I don't know about you, but I'm totally pissed off at Sigma for the the $9700 MSRP Price gouge. GEESH!

I saved up $4000 only to find out that I'm not even near the price of the body they are going to put on sale. Damn it all.

Until about 18 months ago, when they took a step back from each other he was Sigma's biggest name shooter and has probably sold more cameras for them than anyone else.

Re: a Duck and a Pond 7 years 1 month ago #11

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
blackcloudbrew wrote:
I look at this differently, I'm thinking that the SD1 will provide a major competition item to the Pentax 645D and most likely cause Pentax to drop their price on that by, oh...say $50 or so. That ought to get some interest going.
No luck there, Pentax offers something for their Med Format cameras Sigma just can't match.
That is some of the finest Lenses ever made.

For the SD1 to truly compete with Med Format they'd have to make a lens which would BLOW Zeiss and Leica away.
I'm not saying that they can't do it, however I am saying that they can't do it at a competitive price. At this time their newly released lenses are often slightly better than the big brand lenses at a far greater price. Just look at their 50mm f1.4, and their latest stabilized 70 - 200mm f2.8 Neither of which can compete with MF lenses quality wise.
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds