Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: More Winter!

More Winter! 5 years 3 months ago #1

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I had a misadventure today in the mountain wilderness of Vermont, wandering aimlessly trying to find my way back to the car :~( 4.5 hours later, I finally collapsed into the comfortable driver's seat, my legs shaking from exhaustion. Good times!

I did take advantage of the situation by taking pictures :lol: These 3 shots were each taken with a different lens.

First, with the recently-rebuilt 21mm, the path more traveled:

The Way Forward

The trail was pretty obvious at this point. Then, I took this picture of a familiar scene. I've taken this shot in Fall and Summer before, so I figured I'd try it in Winter. Notice the frozen Lake Champlain in the distance. This time I gave the 77mm a try:

Indian Brook Reservoir Overlook #428

And finally, this was taken while I was hopelessly lost, but I just couldn't resist this scene. Taken on a frozen pond using my newly-acquired 40mm:

Hunting or Hunted?

For reference, those paw prints are about the size of my hand. After I took the picture, I realized that the prints were actually quite fresh, and I wasn't terribly interested in meeting their owner. So I went in a different direction and ended up getting even more lost.
Photons are your friends! :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

More Winter! 5 years 3 months ago #2

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Nice work Frank.
I wanted to see more images, like; self portrait curled up in a fetal position under the snowy, wintery boughs sobbing, wiping the tears from your frozen cheeks and begging for your mommy. Or, of the scary mountain cat gnawing on your frozen feet. Now that would be interesting!

Next time maybe you'll plan the trip a bit better by bringing a map or a gps or even an old fashioned compass. Yeesh! Seriously though, glad you made it out okay. Now you get to relive the experience all over again on Tuesday as we search for that elusive ice-cave at the Onaping Falls!
:cross:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by J.Scott.

More Winter! 5 years 3 months ago #3

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
I'm glad you made it out safely FP! Otherwise how would I have been able to get home. :D And you came out with some excellent snow photos. I've been wanting a good photo of tracks in fresh snow for a long time, and that looks like a perfect setting. A nice curve to the tracks and mild undulations in the snow/ground lend it a lot of interest.

So, do you want to check this guide to find out what kind of tracks those are? :whistle:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by tiffpix.

More Winter! 5 years 3 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I had a GPS (my phone), but it didn't help much since there was no data signal to load a map with. Not to mention that my phone's battery somehow managed to die off almost completely within 6 hours. Stupid Weather Channel app...

Also, the sky was crystal clear, so no compass was needed. I always knew exactly which direction I was heading. But that doesn't help much when I don't know where I am to begin with. It's especially useless when you *think* you're in one place, but in fact you're elsewhere altogether (as was the case here). Everything looks the same in Winter!!! All the landmarks are gone.
Photons are your friends! :-)
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds