Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Reporting From Spain

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #31

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, I'm sure you well know - as well all do - that creativity is not linear. For me it runs in streaks motivated usually by some event or need. Given that I'm currently doing a 365 project and shooting every day, I've had to resort to self imposed themes lately to focus myself and make me produce something every day. That's because mostly during the work days, I see the same stuff I've been shooting for years. There are only so many angles I can work them and be interested or prepare interesting stuff. Even without small children around, shooting time is always limited except for the periodic photo meetups or shoots I do. OTOH, I'm always looking and trying to file away interesting stuff I see day to day for 'next time.'

Regardless, we on this small corner of the internet, don't live in the exotic locations you've been and are in currently and for us, your eye and vision of these places has been very enjoyable. Keep 'em coming when you can.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #32

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Creatively isn't linear, no. I suppose I feel like documentary photography doesn't naturally require that much creatively. Kudos on sticking a 365 project -- I don't think I'd make it.

Thanks for the kind words. Felt a bit better today about the topic at hand. The last shot of the conduits isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I felt like I was finally seeing it the way I should be able to.

Street Orchestra by Leigh, on Flickr

Micro Sentinel by Leigh, on Flickr

Reflective Beer by Leigh, on Flickr

Dragon in Madrid by Leigh, on Flickr

Micro Advertising by Leigh, on Flickr

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #33

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I like the conduits image a lot and that blue thing! The color is cool. I recall that you (sometimes) like to include signs in your shots. Just shot signs all last month. It's hard, a tip of the cap to you for this creative idea.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #34

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Blue Thing™ Is actually an old fashioned doorknob. I need to label it clearly.

I can't claim much credit for photographing signs. I do it because they're a natural part of urban landscapes and sometimes, look interesting all on their own.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #35

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, that may be true but I liked the way you have seen them and included them in past images. I might typically avoid them.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 11 months ago #36

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
What you don't normally see as an asset to an image is more of a challenge to feature, yes.

A couple more prosaic images grabbed on the run with my iPhone.

The Giant Flag of Discovery Plaza by Leigh, on Flickr
The biggest flag I've ever been in the presence of. Flies in Discovery Plaza, which is dedicated to Christopher Columbus' voyage to the Americas.

Madrid from Torre Espacio by Leigh, on Flickr
View from Torre Espacio, the "Space Tower" office building that's one of the Four Towers in the business district of the same name.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #37

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
My child is especially demanding of late, but I'm slipping some photography in, even if it's just urban fragments on the walk from work to the subway.

Castoff by Leigh, on Flickr

Crushed Can 6 by Leigh, on Flickr

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #38

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Ok now I'm filled with all kinds of questions. Who's Sarah? Who's Sofia? Which one is the taller of the 2? What was in that box that made them smile?
Photons are your friends! :-)

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #39

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
All good questions I have no answers for! All I have is their likely neighborhood. I can't even swear they're Spanish. Or they they ever fit in the box.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #40

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I used to scoff a little at the idea that the best camera was the one you have with you, but boy has fatherhood made it true.

My iPhone is the only reliable producer of images lately, as it's the only thing that's always reliably by my side. Even my tiny Olympus E-PM1 is a bit too lumpy for me to bother taking with me most days.

Anyway, a few observations around Madrid:

Number Three by Leigh, on Flickr
My wife tells me that this village was extremely poor and that her mother used to volunteer for charity work there. Now, this is a remnant; most of the village is completely modern and is serviced by the Madrid subway and bus system. This little compound though, which is right in the middle near the church, wouldn't be that out of place in the more battered parts of China.

Korean Christians in Spain by Leigh, on Flickr
A Korean church in the same village. A little unusual, as there does not appear to be a large community of Koreans around Madrid in general.

Progress by Leigh, on Flickr
In the background are the eponymous four towers of the Four Towers business district in Madrid, the newest, tallest and shiniest buildings in the city. Right across the street are aging apartment blocks that date back to the Franco era, including this cafe/bar with a smashed Coke sign.

Always on Duty by Leigh, on Flickr
Madrid takes some pride in maintaining its infrastructure. They regularly replace the bus stop installations and most all the street signs are in excellent condition. This one is by far the oldest and most trashed I've seen in the city.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #41

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
A year into living in Madrid, I finally stumbled onto some real colorful urban character: a community garden/playground filled with recycled trash formed into folk art. Spain is very different than Latin America, but now and then you see some of what Latin America inherited.

Community Mural by Leigh, on Flickr
My shot doesn't give a sense of scale, but this is a two-story mural on the side of a building. The color and texture is from it being coated with foam, which seems a common stopgap measure here to help protect a wall that's left rather a connecting building has been essentially torn off of it.

CD Fish Head by Leigh, on Flickr

Recycled Tiles by Leigh, on Flickr

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #42

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Although I'm for the most part a rural kind of guy , I did spend a number of years in metro and urban areas and have a great fondness for the community garden.
Great job capturing the "life " in the mural . Hope to see more from this place.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #43

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
LOL knew you'd find something like that with your sharp eye. Love the mural shot particularly. I'm with DRN, keep hunting. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #44

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Thanks, guys!

I mean to go back there, though it may not be for a bit. It's not too far from a building I work in, but right now, I'm not working there and the city is suffering a record-breaking streak of heat, which is not motivating when it comes to moving around outside.

I was, however, briefly in Toledo (where the heat was even worse) and I have some material from there once I get a little peace to sort it out.

Reporting From Spain 1 year 10 months ago #45

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Some stuff from the monastery in Toledo:

Carmelite Fortress by Leigh, on Flickr

Old Ironwork by Leigh, on Flickr

Cloistered View by Leigh, on Flickr

Carmelite Figures by Leigh, on Flickr
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds