Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #1

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
This is no longer very new news, but it's one of those really interesting things and I haven't seen it discussed here.

Vivian Maier was a nanny for most of her life, but also an avid amateur photographer. Her work was completely unknown though, until a box of her undeveloped film was auctioned off (part of the contents of her storage locker) and purchased by a fellow called John Maloff, who quickly realized he had something special on his hands and has since thrown his effort behind collecting and showing Maier's work. There's also a documentary.

You can see some photographs, and read some biographical information at www.vivianmaier.com

This lady was a fantastic photographer by any standard, but especially considering that she was making a living raising other peoples' kids and just doing photography in her spare time. My inner idealization of myself as a photographer is to be something like her.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #2

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
What beautiful work. The old B&W still has a charm that can not be replaced by Digital. The times also make the images more interesting and look at all the places she travelled. Thank you for sharing. JIM

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #3

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
I've found out about her a good while ago, indeed she made some terrific images.

Thanks for the link

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #4

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
i didnt know about her but the work is truly brilliant!

This one is particularly exquisite:

this self portrait gave me chills:

Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by mikeSF.

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Really good stuff. I recently saw the Garry Winogrand exhibit at the San Francisco MOMA. This was another case of the finding of thousands of images/rolls unseen or known. It's a bit more controversial as he was a well known street photog and some critics have said how can you know if the photog wanted the images shown. Regardless, for Vivian Maier, without a known body of work, it's easier to put her collection on display.

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #6

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Garry Winogrand is an odd one to me.

It's easy to understand how Vivian Maier, a working class woman of limited means who photographed as a hobby, would end up having boxes of undeveloped film shot during her more economically fallow years.

It's harder for me to get how Winogrand would manage to accumulate such an incredible backlog of material once he was a known photographer. I suppose the only thing that can be said is that for Winogrand, the act of actually going out to photograph was arguably more important than actually seeing all the results.

Vivian Maier: Recently Discovered Amateur Street Photographer 5 years 2 months ago #7

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Apparently, as I was given to understand from the lecture I attended, in his later years he lost interest in, essentially, finishing things. He died at 56. So I guess if I want to be great, I should take a lot of photos and never show them to anyone...yikes.
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds