Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New Limiteds and Flashes from Pentax

New Limiteds and Flashes from Pentax 4 years 9 months ago #1

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Quite out of the blue, Pentax released, er make that re-released their DA limited lenses this week with HD coatings and rounded aperture blades. Read about it here. FP...they are available in both black and silver!

In line with this and also this week, Pentax published a new lens roadmap. It's a bit different from the one last year, check it out.

Finally, Pentax released upgrades to the AF360 and AF540 flash units. The new units are the AF360II and AF540II and feature weather sealed bodies, led lighting for video, and with the AF360II the head finally swivels (yes, yes, yes!). You can read about it here.

As with such things, folks in the Pentax community either love all of this or hate it but...for me these are great developments.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Negative Ned here... 4 years 9 months ago #2

• Mr Pink
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 11
I find the reworking of existing lenses a bit of a joke. Actually all they have done since taking over is reworked existing stuff.

I will wait for the K5 IIIS HD before casting any real doubts, but right now I am not seeing anything really hopeful. Well except for the plethora of Colors

Negative Ned, over and out!

-edit- just read the flash press release, talking about how important Ricoh believes Weather resistance is to their line up...??? Why did they not seal up one "color" of the rebadged ltd's they just released. WR DA ltds... NOW YOU GOT SOMETHING!

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Mr Pink.

Negative Ned here... 4 years 9 months ago #3

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Like I said, these have already started a buzz of likes and dislikes so Mr. Pink just go and be as negative as you like.

The question of why the limited lenses aren't WR has been a subject brought up over and over and now once again. As best as anyone knows (speculates, guesses), to build a limited lens + WR would require a larger limited lens, why I'm not so clear on as it's seals we are talking about here I think.

Negative Ned here... 4 years 9 months ago #4

• Mr Pink
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 11
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Like I said, these have already started a buzz of likes and dislikes so Mr. Pink just go and be as negative as you like.

The question of why the limited lenses aren't WR has been a subject brought up over and over and now once again. As best as anyone knows (speculates, guesses), to build a limited lens + WR would require a larger limited lens, why I'm not so clear on as it's seals we are talking about here I think.

yeah I was following the buzz over on the forum that shall remain nameless... Folks talkin' about buying these to go along with their full collection of the exact same non HD lenses... Too much money!

So let me go on with my negativity... I honestly think the'HD' moniker is marketing non-sense. It is used for everything... Heck I think my Samsung Dryer may be HD...
My guess is the flash is a reworking of the existing flash, with a cheap constant LED light and some rubber seals... The issue with the two existing flashes have never been Weather sealing... it has been the inconsistancy of PTTL...
The only thing I think they truly improved was the swivel on the 360... never understood how Pentax released that with swivel in the first place. Like we dont need to bounce a portrait????

Ok... I am done.

Still liking my already discontinued K01... Still dreaming of a 77 ltd... I would use it everyday if I had one!

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Mr Pink.

Negative Ned here... 4 years 9 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Mr Pink wrote:
The issue with the two existing flashes have never been Weather sealing... it has been the inconsistancy of PTTL...
The only thing I think they truly improved was the swivel on the 360... never understood how Pentax released that with swivel in the first place. Like we dont need to bounce a portrait????

Fair comments and quite accurate.

Neutral Neutron here... 4 years 9 months ago #6

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Personally I'm torn regarding the new Limited lenses. I already have almost all of the old SMC DA ones (except the 35mm Macro). I had the 15mm and 21mm rebuilt by C.R.I.S., so now they're optically as good as they can possibly be. Those are my only black Limited lenses, so this would be the perfect opportunity to work towards an all-silver collection. But then I'd be worried about getting examples with the typical optical flaws that these lenses tend to have from the factory. Those flaws are completely resolved on my samples, do I really want to play Russian roulette again just for different-coloured lenses when I paid extra for mine to be perfect? Some new coating and perhaps smoother out-of-focus elements might be nice, but I'd have to know that the difference is really noticeable before those aspects really weigh in on the equation.

On the other hand, this is a good opportunity to finally acquire that 35mm macro Ltd...

As for the flashes, that weather-resistant 540 is WAY OVERDUE!!! But it's also way too expensive. Especially since I don't really use P-TTL anyways, I tend to shoot manual flashes. If LumoPro or Yongnuo want to come out with a full manual weather-sealed flash, I'll be there in a heartbeat. But $630 for a weather-sealed P-TTL light popper? Nah...

Heck, even the weather-sealed Canon flash, which has built-in radio wireless and a stronger flash head, is only $550.
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Friendly Photon.

Neutral Neutron here... 4 years 9 months ago #7

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:

Heck, even the weather-sealed Canon flash, which has built-in radio wireless and a stronger flash head, is only $550.

Yes, good points, but in the end it's only a Canon. :p

New Limiteds and Flashes from Pentax 4 years 9 months ago #8

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
just reading the news and not sure any of this matters to me. Now, if they re-issue the FA77 with new coatings and WR, I would buy it.

Also, why the rounded aperture blades? I can see doing it to the sub f/2 fast lenses for smoother bokeh, not sure how much the slower lenses would benefit.

I have the 540 flash and I love it. I have definitely gotten it rained on and even muddy before, so I see some benefit in WR treatment. I have no idea what PTTL issues there are with the flash because I use M mode on the flash most of the time.

New Limiteds and Flashes from Pentax 4 years 9 months ago #9

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
mikeSF wrote:
Now, if they re-issue the FA77 with new coatings and WR, I would buy it.
Aw yeah! Now THAT would be a worthy update. Get rid of some of that green/purple fringing, make it weather resistant, and I'm an instant buyer.
Photons are your friends! :-)
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds