Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Mail Order Film Processing

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 9 months ago #1

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
The last local film lab has joined Elvis and left the building.
Lousey timing since I had recently decided to work with 8 x10 silver gelatin prints for upcoming art show season.
I just don't have the time or space to set up a darkroom so I either need to find a reliable quality lab or drop the project.
What is the best bang for the buck in mail order these days. Who will work with you as far as cropping and editting?
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by DamnRedneck.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 9 months ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Sort of interested in the answer here as my local store still does processing. Sorry I can't be of more use.

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 9 months ago #3

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Just read your PM, DR. Personal things have taken me away from here for a while.

Dwayne's Photo www.dwaynesphoto.com is famous as the last lab that was still developing Kodachrome. I jumped on the last hurrah bandwagon, shot a couple rolls and sent them in before the deadline. Their service was good and they handle all other film types and prints, but I have no idea if they'll do more specific work with you on cropping.

I don't know all the details of your circumstances, DR, but my recommendation would be to consider this option... you don't need to setup a darkroom to develop your own film. The investment in gear and space is very modest, as is the skill set. I would consider getting yourself the few bits and bobs to develop at home and then see if you can scare up somebody with a darkroom willing to work with you either directly or just by allowing you to use the space to print.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DamnRedneck

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 8 months ago #4

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Thanks for the reply. Maybe you're right . I've been storing an enlarger for about 20 years now and never set up a darkroom because of chemicals , kids , critters , and lack of a space in my house where nobody else will go but just developing to negatives is a possibillity. Unfortunately politics prevent me from using the dark room at the college but maybe I can get a friend there to make my prints.

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 8 months ago #5

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I had no dedicated space either. All developing chems and gear were in a big box that I dragged out every time I wanted to do some film. After that, it'd have to go away again in the kitchen or bathroom returned to regularly scheduled use.

These days, not even that is an option but that's another story.

Good luck! I rather miss it.

Mail Order Film Processing 1 year 8 months ago #6

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:
I had no dedicated space either. All developing chems and gear were in a big box that I dragged out every time I wanted to do some film. After that, it'd have to go away again in the kitchen or bathroom returned to regularly scheduled use.

These days, not even that is an option but that's another story.

Good luck! I rather miss it.

Basically, that's what I do as well. I have all my film developing gear in a box which I haul out every time and set up in the guest bathroom when I'm developing. While I have an old enlarger, I've never tried to use it as there is a rent a dark room facility in the county. For me, just developing the negatives and scanning them in solves most of my needs.
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds