Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Getting Less Serious

Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #1

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Often conversations about dedication to photography revolve around being casual and getting more serious.

I think what I need to do is get less serious.

When I'm trying to be very serious about my photos, my shot count plummets because I take too long and thus end up not even trying to get certain shots because the moment's passed. This gets especially bad if I'm shooting film, since every frame does have a tangible material cost.

I was out with some friends and their kids today, and focused on taking shots, even if I knew my odds weren't necessarily the optimal for getting the moment and that there was a considerable chance my focus would be off. Better to shoot, get the practice and have a chance of good shots than have given up before starting because I was too "serious." Try my best, but make sure to shoot more often than not.

That time at the playground burnt up about one and a half rolls of rather unfitted-to-action, manually-focused medium format film. I'll no doubt have many failures, but I feel good having gambled at all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #2

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
There's definitely lot to be said for not putting undue pressure on yourself. I find my best pictures are often taken when I am relaxed and having fun.

I admire your pluck for MFing kids in a playground, talk about making it tough on yourself. :D
I look forward to hearing about (and perhaps seeing) the results.

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #3

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
I had a chance to look through your flicker account [not all] and you do know a lot about photography. Call it shooters block, which I get sometimes when I have been to the same place too many times or at least someone as told me that. Someone who has a creative mind like yours gets hard on themselves over what! Art in any form doesn't just happen, though those good at sure make it seem that way. I find that when you want to get better or someone questions a photo you think is good, you only try harder passing up on great a image. I am also learning through my mistakes that some of the best photo's were walked over or by without even seeing them. Ok, this is more then I have ever written in a post in my life1 Stop!!! Sorry Folks. JIMBO

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #4

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
I admire your pluck for MFing kids in a playground, talk about making it tough on yourself. :D
I look forward to hearing about (and perhaps seeing) the results.

Believe me, while this wasn't the first time I've done it, it wasn't a thing I planned. Just happened to decide to give my Mamiya 645 some field time today, and I found myself at the playground with friends + their kids. Didn't know that was going to happen. If I'd been prepared properly, it'd have been my F100 all the way if the idea was action on film. :D

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #5

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
JIMBO wrote:
I had a chance to look through your flicker account [not all] and you do know a lot about photography. Call it shooters block, which I get sometimes when I have been to the same place too many times or at least someone as told me that.

Thanks, Jimbo. Shooter's block happens too, but I was more meaning the trouble of quibbling too much over a shot you know you want to try, until you just end up not taking the shot because the moment's been lost. Usually this is with active, moving subjects.

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 6 months ago #6

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Something similar happened to me last Sunday. My wife and I went out biking to take some pictures near the town hall so she could play with her new camera. We each brought our own camera, and I brought my full complement of lenses. She used her kit lens the whole time.

At the end of the day, I concentrated so hard on getting "the perfect shot" of my subjects, I took very few pictures. And most of them were crap anyways, leaving me with just a handful of pictures to brag about. Meanwhile, my wife was having fun taking lots of pictures from different angles and trying new things. She was still exploring her new camera and enjoying herself instead of trying to be a "Photographer". She came away with a lot more keepers than I did, and there were some much more interesting shots in there.

Sometimes it's best to just stop being so serious and have fun shooting.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 5 months ago #7

Great topic Leigh, I have thought a lot about this.

Travel has been always my main hobby and my main motivation to get into photography was to make nicer pictures from the places I traveled. But photography can be really absorbing and I had a phase where I was hyperstressed about visiting a beautiful place and not being able to pull a good picture out of it. Some times I was ending up being upset for not being at the right times of the day for taking pictures, or not having time to prepare, etc. I was almost organizing my trips around taking pictures rather than enjoying the trip itself. Thankfully, I reevaluated where my place in the photographic world was and what I wanted to get out of photography. I ended up deciding that my main goal in photography was to become a proficient snapshooter and simply document as many good moments as I can while enjoying the process. I am much happier ever since.

Re: Getting Less Serious 8 years 5 months ago #8

I agree with the two posts above mine. Sometimes it's just better to shoot and have fun rather than spend a half hour trying to get one thing perfect and miss a great shot of something else.

Getting Less Serious 8 years 5 months ago #9

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Sometimes it's best to just stop being so serious and have fun shooting.

What.. and take all the fun out carry all those lenses miles only to use one lens or set up to take 100 shots to keep 2-3. Nop way! There will still be a few fools around, ok many fools around like me that want that damn perfect shot and I will put myselt through as much pain as possible to get it DAMN IT! don't get me going... Cheers JIM

Getting Less Serious 8 years 5 months ago #10

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
JIMBO wrote:

What.. and take all the fun out carry all those lenses miles only to use one lens or set up to take 100 shots to keep 2-3. Nop way! There will still be a few fools around, ok many fools around like me that want that damn perfect shot and I will put myselt through as much pain as possible to get it DAMN IT! don't get me going... Cheers JIM

I agree with both of you.. I was recently taking a lot of photos (for me) and had a lot of fun the first day when I was just playing around and trying out different features, etc. The next day, I was bound and determined to get *the* shot and had a bunch of crap to show for it, until I got a good one. Then I felt all the aggravation was worth it! :)
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds