Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SDXC Memory and DSLR Movie Making

SDXC Memory and DSLR Movie Making 7 years 4 months ago #1

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
I'm going to be buying a camera that says can handle SDXC memory cards. Has anyone tried these. Other than have huge memory capacity and costing a lot of bucks is there any difference? Anyone with experience handling these cards?

As a related but side issue to this, has anyone found the movie making feature of their DSLR useful? I am, admittedly, and absolute neophyte when it comes to the production of home movies. Is the learning curve a steep one? Is this a useful feature or just a hook to lure in potential clients?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SDXC Memory and DSLR Movie Making 7 years 4 months ago #2

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
As far as SDXC memory cards go:

- right now, existing ones aren't any faster than SDHC cards (same Class 4, Class 6, Class 10, speed ratings)

- older versions of Windows, OS X or Linux that haven't been updated with the most recent patches will not be able to read SDXC cards, because SDXC uses a new kind of file system

- SDXC cards can hold files that are larger than 4GB in size, this may be useful for long videos

- SDXC cards are freaking expensive

That's about it, really. There's no real advantage/disadvantage to SDXC cards except what's listed above. It's worth noting that SDHC cards are available in faster models than SDXC cards (UHS-1 class). I'd rather have a few 8 GB SDHC cards than a single 64 GB SDXC card. It's cheaper, faster, and if one of them fails, I won't be left stranded or lose all my pictures.

Also, last I checked, SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC cards were available on Amazon.com for less than half price. These are the newest, fastest and awesomest SDHC cards on the market, with a UHS-1 speed rating. They're available in 8 GB, 16 GB and 32 GB sizes, all for WAY cheaper than SDXC stuff. I ordered an 8 GB one to see how fast it really is compared to my Class 6 and Class 10 cards.

edit: UHS-1 cards (whether SDHC or upcoming SDXC ones) have 10 pins. Regular SD and SDHC cards have 9 pins. The 10th pin enables the Ultra High Speed capability. If your device doesn't support that 10th pin, then the card will just function like a normal SDHC card, probably at Class 10 or so. So if your device doesn't support the 10th pin, (this includes most current cameras and card readers), then there's no point wasting your money on a UHS-1 card. I know *some* newer cameras support that 10th pin, but I'm not sure which ones. I know the Nikon D7000 does. Not sure about others like the Pentax K-5 and Sony SLT-A55.
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Friendly Photon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds