Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #46

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3057
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3144
  • Honor Medal
@Jimbo - your Golden Ears Mountain is just a wonderful shot. Excellent imagery there guy! BTW - I don't know why folks thought those were HDR images, they didn't have that dynamic in them (I know as I do a lot of HDR). I think that's more of a credit to you than you know though. Again well done.

@Mongooz - Nice b&w series! Yummy, yummy, yummy. I think solitude is the more classic composition but looking through is the better shot for tonalities. I might suggest that you try some selective dodging / burning in of the lower left and upper right hand corners. If there is detail in there, pulling it out would (make that could) enhance this image even more. Very strong set of shots.

@MikeSF - stop it! you are killing me with those! That's wall art you have there. Really nice effort Mike. Oh, one more thing, did you mean we get to submit 12 photos this TW3 by your first post?

@RM - I'm not quite as excited about these two new ones RM. They just seem...well...plain, or make that not as extra special as most of your previous recent works. The second of the two is the better one to my eye. I'm curious about how you feel about those two.

Another one from me.

Painting with lights

_IGP6537 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #47

  • mikeSF
  • mikeSF's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1854
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Points: 1643
  • Honor Medal
really nice abstract BCB.

RULES CLARIFICATION: everybody can post the usual 9 images this week, BUT if you are posting holiday pics, you can put up a total of 12, to encourage some holiday spirit and general merriment.

thanks for your comments on my Morning Tranquility pic. Here is a larger version...in the full size image, you can clearly read the "Ghirardelli" sign at Ghirardelli Square.

http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v37/p130026002-6.jpg

Sorry for the big ol watermark
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by mikeSF.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #48

  • rmtagg
  • rmtagg's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 821
  • Thank Yous Received 10
  • Points: 425
Tim they may not be as nice as some previous posts. I am finding most of the time I buzz along and get what I want but every once in a while I really struggle with one clients images. I havent figured out why yet but once you reach a level of work the pressure is intense to keep it there for every client. I have had 2 clients so far out of 20 some that I and am not quite as pleased with. Thats not bad odds really but I expect outstanding every time so I feel very disappointed.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by rmtagg.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #49

  • mikeSF
  • mikeSF's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1854
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Points: 1643
  • Honor Medal
Mongooz wrote:
...
my initial impression was....."i left my home in georgia...headed for the frisco bay...." :D

I love Otis!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #50

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3057
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3144
  • Honor Medal
rmtagg wrote:
Tim they may not be as nice as some previous posts. I am finding most of the time I buzz along and get what I want but every once in a while I really struggle with one clients images. I havent figured out why yet but once you reach a level of work the pressure is intense to keep it there for every client. I have had 2 clients so far out of 20 some that I and am not quite as pleased with. Thats not bad odds really but I expect outstanding every time so I feel very disappointed.

Interesting indeed. I think that it's the first of the two that is lacking something. It seems like the camera angle was too high and the model looks to be receding with her head forward and feet behind. I don't like it. The pose is odd as well. I can't explain it better than that. Hope that helps. Obviously you share only selected images here, but these couple just weren't as good to me as your usual excellent compositions. Perhaps it's composition in both and something about the angle in the first that I'm reacting too. I don't know. Just trying to provide feedback. About your 2 out of 20, doesn't sound too bad to me. You go girl!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #51

  • rmtagg
  • rmtagg's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 821
  • Thank Yous Received 10
  • Points: 425
blackcloudbrew wrote:
rmtagg wrote:
Tim they may not be as nice as some previous posts. I am finding most of the time I buzz along and get what I want but every once in a while I really struggle with one clients images. I havent figured out why yet but once you reach a level of work the pressure is intense to keep it there for every client. I have had 2 clients so far out of 20 some that I and am not quite as pleased with. Thats not bad odds really but I expect outstanding every time so I feel very disappointed.

Interesting indeed. I think that it's the first of the two that is lacking something. It seems like the camera angle was too high and the model looks to be receding with her head forward and feet behind. I don't like it. The pose is odd as well. I can't explain it better than that. Hope that helps. Obviously you share only selected images here, but these couple just weren't as good to me as your usual excellent compositions. Perhaps it's composition in both and something about the angle in the first that I'm reacting too. I don't know. Just trying to provide feedback. About your 2 out of 20, doesn't sound too bad to me. You go girl!

Part of the problem is me trying to figure out how to work/shoot in a room that is really too small. So at times I am running into lens issues and distortion. I have to be really careful of that! I think by now I have figured out how to use the room the best I can. I really need about 5 more feet of room but no where to get that from. So as I go along I am learning what poses work and which are not going to give me what I want. A bit of learning curve here.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #52

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3057
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3144
  • Honor Medal
A couple more from a shoot with a local Meet Up group.

One of everything! This house does this every year and keeps adding something new. It's just unbelievable to see it. Had to go fisheye to get it all in.

_IGP6564 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Cross - Just to keep us grounded in the season.

_IGP6584 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Red ornament

_IGP6592 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #53

  • J.Scott
  • J.Scott's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1799
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Points: 2297
  • Honor Medal
Great job with 'Red Ornament' Tim. I wouldn't even attempt that with my K5.
Simply beautiful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #54

  • tiffpix
  • tiffpix's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1564
  • Thank Yous Received 33
  • Points: 853
That's amazing Tim.. my personal favourite is the dragon.. dude. nothing says Xmas more than that :-)

I love your work with the ornaments as well.

Jeff: why wouldn't you attempt the Red Ornament? because of that red saturation issue that seems to affect Pentax cameras?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #55

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3057
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3144
  • Honor Medal
Thanks. For the record I didn't shoot the nearby house with those other Christmas icons: spyderman, superman, wonder woman (holding a candy cane), and of course space ghost.

I'm wondering too why one would not attempt the red ornament. I shot it with my K5 and my DA*50-135. It was shot at 80ISO and f19 on a tripod.I think I toned it down a bit in LightRoom and pushed the black up a bit.

I shot the other ornament next too the red one in the same way. Not for judging.

_IGP6594 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #56

  • mikeSF
  • mikeSF's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1854
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Points: 1643
  • Honor Medal
great job on the ornaments, BCB. nice exposure.
ok, that first house with all the trimmings...they must be greasing the HOA.

keep those cards and letters coming! Only three more shooting days 'til TW3 ends.
:p
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #57

  • tiffpix
  • tiffpix's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1564
  • Thank Yous Received 33
  • Points: 853


Possibly my only photo this week. My DA 35mm isn't working correctly.. :( I need a crying smiley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #58

  • J.Scott
  • J.Scott's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1799
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Points: 2297
  • Honor Medal
tiffpix wrote:
That's amazing Tim.. my personal favourite is the dragon.. dude. nothing says Xmas more than that :-)

I love your work with the ornaments as well.

Jeff: why wouldn't you attempt the Red Ornament? because of that red saturation issue that seems to affect Pentax cameras?

I guess a more appropriate response would be that I know I would not be able to achieve the same results shooting bright red things.
BCB - you are the master. :-) Beautiful picture my friend!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by J.Scott.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #59

  • DamnRedneck
  • DamnRedneck's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 913
  • Thank Yous Received 22
  • Points: 907
Hi Guys. Jimbo , Mike , RM, Pablo , Tim (did I miss anyone?) ... Some great stuff thisn week.
Mongooz - I really like the bench in the snow and think that cropped differently it could be exceptional!
Tiff- That abstract is super!!! Has a Moholy-Nagy feel to it.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by DamnRedneck.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.62 hosted by mikeSF 12/12 to midnight 12/24 5 years 4 months ago #60

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3057
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3144
  • Honor Medal
@Mongooz - got it and thanks, although I'm not sure I'm a master of much of anything but I've shot a lot of Christmas decorations this month and I may, in fact, be getting better at it.

@DRN - Three very creative images. I particularly like the last one as the partial abstract, and point / counterpoint with the boat and its reflection make for an artful composition. Very nice images, I like them. Oh, and your use of lines in this make me want to move around the image. I like that too.

@TP - That's an interesting something you have there. That one makes me pause and wonder what the bleep it is. I think that's a good thing actually. So what's up with your DA 35?
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by blackcloudbrew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds