Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #46

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Great photos FP! Glad the weather stayed nice for a while, although overcast would have been better for photos. :)

Here are some of my photos from yesterday:
Searching

Basking

Glowing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #47

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
The water level is really low around here this summer. This means there's all kinds of herons and other water birds near this waterway on my way to work. There were 7 egrets there that morning, but we couldn't stop. So I talked FP into letting me use his precious Sigma 100-300mm in the rain last night to come up with these. We also had to traverse some slippery rocks and mud. :happy:

First we parked too near this guy and he flew away, but not too far, and we were able to trek there and only get a little soaked.

Keeping An Eye Out

I kept moving slowly forward to try and get some better photos. But eventually he got tired of me.

Leaving

Soaring

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #48

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Sprucehill: I love the processing on those shots! Now, is Enterpreneurs light trails from spiders floating around? That one is really fascinating to me.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #49

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
tiffpix wrote:
Sprucehill: I love the processing on those shots! Now, is Enterpreneurs light trails from spiders floating around? That one is really fascinating to me.

tiff - the little light trails are gnats, moths, bugs etc flying around the streetlight off to the left. The spiders have built up all those little nests stretching between power lines to catch the bugs that come for the lights. Funny.

I've been playing a lot with pumping up the details and then mashing it a little with some diffusion. It creates a nice glow around certain elements without killing the contrast completely.

-Dan

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #50

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Last night chasing the meteor shower. This ended up becoming an all nighter, as I had to go to work as soon as I got back home early rhis morning.

Spirit of Radio

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #51

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Last day so I'll toss a few pics up for fun.

'Lynda's Echinacea '

A little closer view reveals an ...
'Alien Landscape'

Speaking of aliens, this weird creature just happened to ...
'Buzz In'

'Radiating'
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by J.Scott.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #52

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Beautiful image Mike and JS, really like the use of DOF on the last shot. JIM
The following user(s) said Thank You: J.Scott

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #53

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I'm back. Tired but I'm back. I'll have the wrap on this TW3 tomorrow night.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #54

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Nice shots Tiffany. I love sunflowers, especially with bees crawling all over them. Fields of them would be particularly gorgeous. I'll bet the farmer has an apiary too.

I've seen egrets when in Florida and they were not shy at all. In fact, one of them crept up and stole a pork chop off the barbeque! I saw him spear and fly off with it hanging like a greasy doughnut, shishkabobed on his pointy beak. Don't know how the hell he eventually ate it.

You have suffered for your art by crawling over slippery rocks with your husbands precious telephoto lens to get the picture of an ungrateful and reclusive shore bird. Good job! It's unfortunate that even though you managed to capture his/her wings perfectly in flight you were still a bit far off. Maybe you should have swam out, camera in teeth, to get even closer. Yes, maybe you could have suffered a teeny bit more to get an even more perfect shot. Frank wouldn't mind sacrificing his lens for that, would he?
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by J.Scott.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #55

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Ok time to wrap this puppy up.

Individual bests of this TW3

Jimbo
Another prolific week from you Jim, I’ll call one the water series and the other the sky series. In the water series I still like the ‘Above the Flow’ the best. The use of flowing water, POV, and composition all work the best for me. That’s not to say the others are as good, this one is more my taste than anything else. I think ‘Dead Reflections’ and ‘Edgey Shore’ are right in there too. In the sky series, ‘Rushing’ is just too wonderful in comparison to the others there. The ‘Clouded Wave’ shot is nice but the portrait orientation of ‘Rushing’ works here much better. So what’s my fav of yours for this TW3? I have to go with ‘Rushing’ here. Well done though on putting up an excellent set of images.

Mongooz
Only one entry from you this TW3 but it’s a good’en. I like how the darkness of the bridge frames a view to the next world so to speak. Seems like an idyllic day too. Well done.

Tiffpix
Well, you have your dogs series, and your ‘ing series this week. Of the dogs on second reflection I’m liking Olive as the background complement the dog more. Nice look to that shot. The ‘ing series…wow the sunflower shots are STRONG color shot and give ‘Glowing’ top marks with ‘Searching’ right behind it. I love sunflower (hey, I’m a Green after all) and these are really strong images. Wow. Hey, awesome work with the Sigma 100-300! These birds are quite common around here and I usually don’t bother with them as it’s not my fav thing to shoot but I have to say that all of these are nicely composed and shot. I’d give it a toss up between ‘Leaving’ and ‘Soaring’ with it just going to ‘Soaring’ based on my tastes. Out of all of these efforts I’ll say that ‘Soaring’ was my fav from you this week but ‘Glowing’ is a close second. Another well done TW3 for you.

Sprucehill
Well you gave us the f&f (fog/flag) series and the street scenes series. Coming from the land of fog (San Francisco), I have to say I'm a bit jealous of your fine fog images! I prefer the second of the two as it shows more sky and flow all very lovely stuff. The flag shot is fun too and as I've considered trying for something like that, I'm very impressed with it. Nice work. The dreamy nature of the street scenes and the use of the black boarder is very effective in those shots. Entrepreneurs is almost an abstract, Holden street could be anywhere and time, love the look of that one for sure. I think as a complete shot Mohawk is my fav and I love the subtle use of selective color on this. Reflecting on all of these. I’m torn between the flag abstract and Mohawk but I have to go with Mohawk as it has a model town look and the selective color. Lovely efforts all.

MikeSF
As I’ve already said – love the second barn shot best and I approve of the HDR work there. Well done. The Benicia Bridges is a wonderful shot. I need to explore them more too and night work on them would be great. Of those I’d have to go with Night Train as a wonderful nighttime creation. But…then you come in with the ‘Sprit of Radio’ fabulous light painting and night sky effort. Makes me wish I’d been down on the flatlands and out with you then. Awesome shot. Hard to pick a fav between these but I’ll go with the mystery of ‘Night Train.’

FrendlyPhoton
Interesting TW3 set from you. I think your ‘Deep Thoughts’ is a good effort but it’s a bit too busy for me. Good thoughts though. Ok, so like I said I love sunflowers and ‘Pride’ blazingly sharp and very well composed. I have a hard time picking between you and Tiffany on sunflower shots. Love the lighting too. Not so excited about the ‘Yak’ shot but it’s a fun one, as is #127. Fun captures on the Pirate series with ‘Dainty Pirate’ being my fav. ‘Sailing’ speaks to me too as I like the framing and the feeling of action to come that shows. My fav of all of these is ‘Pride’ it’s just got killer color intensity to it. Just wonderful stuff FP.

JScott
Wow, somebody’s got a macro fix this week. Killer close-ups guy! It’s hard to be critical of any of these four. I tend to prefer the first two over the last two but just only a bit. My fav is Lynda’s Echinacea’ as I think the repeated OOF flower makes a more complete shot, but any of these are just screaming COLOR and interest. Great efforts.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #56

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
After working my way through these images it’s once again very hard to rank them in some order. I think one could argue that each of the top four is very good images and rank equally. Given that I have to rank them at all here goes.

Honorable Mentions

Tiffany – Glowing
FP – Pride
Jimbo - Rushing

And now the results:

Fourth – J.Scott - Lynda’s Echinacea

Third – MikeSF - Night Train

Second – Sprucehill - Mohawk

First – Tiffany – Soaring

Well done all and over to you Tiffany.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #57

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Wow! Thanks Tim, I'm shocked to win this week with such great images from everyone. Especially Mike coming in late with Spirit of Radio and Jeff's excellent echinacea shots. Off to start the new thread!

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #58

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
excellent and insightful writeup, BCB. Great job!

Congrats to tiffpix for a well-deserved win! Having been present during the event, I can admit to some slight trepidation while my beloved telephoto was being drenched with rain. But it turned out fine in the end. While not technically weather-sealed, that lens is so well-made that there really isn't anywhere for water to get into.
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #59

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I think what did it for me on that shot is the sharpness of the Egret in the rain. It's hard to nail those birds in flight and in lower light too. Well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Friendly Photon

TW3.82, hosted by BCB, Jul 31-Aug 9 - extended to 8/15 5 years 10 months ago #60

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
awesome photo tiff and congrats!!
i also really love Mohawk, Sprucehill, and that flower is so amazing, Jeff!
great job hosting, tim
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds