Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #1

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Thanks JScott for doing a great job in the hosting seat last week, and welcome everyone to the 85th edition of our weekly thread!

Same rules as always and I will put up a couple to kick us off:

Woulda Coulda Shoulda...

These were both taken on the same evening in different parts of the bay. Earlier that day, I peered across the bay from Oakland and saw the two bridge towers of the GGB rising majestically from a layer of low fog, so I ran home and grabbed my gear and raced over to the Marin Headlands and Slacker Ridge, ran up the trail, huffing and puffing along the way to get there in time for sunset.

As I got to the top, I realized it was not meant to be as the encroaching fog had all but completely engulfed the bridge. I sat in cold dampness on the hillside for about an hour before deciding to take my walk of shame back to the car, empty handed, as I've done so many times before.
That is Sutro Tower in the pic, providing radio interference to electric musicians since 1973.

On the way home, I got into the east bay and saw that the Berkeley Hills were perfectly clear, so I made for the usual make out spots above the University (that's "Cal", btw). I must have looked ridiculous arriving in 5 layers of clothes to this rather warm spot as all the kids were in T-shirts, some in shorts, lol. I set up quick and fired off this pano of SF downtown and the bay bridge. I should've been here from the start, I suppose.

Grizzly Peak Peek (pano)

a larger version here: mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v66/p1096148028-6.jpg
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by mikeSF.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #2

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Wow... that pano is amazing! And worth the discomfort and effort to get that amazing shot.. wow!

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #3

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Ah...Sutro Tower. In the middle 1970's as a meteorology student at San Jose State, I used to service air quality monitoring equipment on that 250m tower. The view from the top level is just amazing. Wish I could go on it again.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #4

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Ah...Sutro Tower. In the middle 1970's as a meteorology student at San Jose State, I used to service air quality monitoring equipment on that 250m tower. The view from the top level is just amazing. Wish I could go on it again.

dude, you must get us up there, surely you can pull a string or two??

I used to gig around SF with my Fender tube amp, and without plugging the guitar or a cable into the amp, I could hear radio stations. I could even tune in different stations by rotating the amp slightly. It became a real problem, so I had an amp tech install a choke circuit in the amp to reduce the interference. Later, I rented a recording mixer to cut a demo tape with other musicians, and all the tracks were contaminated with radio interference from the tower.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by mikeSF.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
When we used to go up there, we wore T-shirts and jeans. Some years later, I saw pictures of the technicians working up there in radiation suits... Don't think you'd want to be up there now, unless you feel you've had all the children your going to have. :(

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #6

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Few for this week. JIMBO

Fallen Leaves

Color Change

Over the Flow

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #7

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Two more. Cheers. [About 10 days old] JIM

Breaking Light

Summer Ice

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #8

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Nice fall feeling to these Jim. So the leaves are already falling up your way? It will begin here in a month or more. I really like over the flow here as the angle of the water and rocks seem to balance each other to my eye.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #9

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Nice fall feeling to these Jim. So the leaves are already falling up your way? It will begin here in a month or more. I really like over the flow here as the angle of the water and rocks seem to balance each other to my eye.

Thanks Tim. To really get the right look of the image you need to see it on my web site. www.imagesbyjimcamozzi.com

Well, two more sleeps and I am heading to Iceland for 19 days. I expect to take over 7000 images on my trip or more. [prepared for one tera bit of images / carrying two hard drives a tera bit each] by the time I am done posting I am sure of of you will want to kill me. Cheers and looking forward to showing you a part of my bucket list! JIMBO

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #10

• blackcloudbrew
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Jimbo, all I've got to say (besides have a great trip) about too many images is 'bring it on!'

We will just sit back and enjoy the show.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #11

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
wow, off to a great start here. Jimbo, i am excited about your upcoming trip and know you will be treating us to many images upon your return...or sooner?

I love your "Breaking Light" as the composition has a very nice flow to it and the colors are sensational. The rich graduated colors in the reflection really add to the shot! "Over the flow" has some nice moving water "fingers" that draw the eye closer.

I am off to LA for a couple of days, sans camera, but will be able to check in while away.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #12

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
I've been having some fun with manipulation as of late. Here's a few:
In Bloom

G'morning

Takeoff

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #13

• sprucehill
  • Thank Yous Received 3
And one more, my son loved this when I showed him what I did to this picture.

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #14

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Dan, some great work here!! That first pic really pops off the page for me, as it is very well shot.
Keep 'em coming!!

TW3.85 Hosted by mikeSF, Sept 10-Sept 18th 4 years 9 months ago #15

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Dan - Big fun in PS Cool stuff

Hi Folks. Haven't had the camera out for a coulple months -various reasons/ excuses but was playing with this and thought I'd throw it in here.
A friend of mine painted a Big picture of the underside of a local peir which my wife fell in love with.
About 800,742 people have either panted or taken photos under that peir so making it different is a challenge. My friend's painting was different because of subtle coloring and texture and it sold for way more than I could pay. My lovely and talented wife kept bugging me to go take a pier pic for her so I made a few attempts to find a unique way to do so. I couldn't find what I was looking for and wound up with a bunch of the same stuff every tourist did with a P&S. Last Summer the pier went down in a hurricane so I hadn't thought about it for some time but when looking through some old files over the weekend I found this . Here is my troll's eye veiw from under the old pier. NOT FOR COMPETITION

beforethestorm.JPG
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds