Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #1

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Hello folks, welcome to the 88th round of That Week That Was, established by Damn Brit based on a TV show I never actually saw even though I grew up on the CBC, which played plenty of BBC.

Should anyone actually need to read them, there are guidelines.

Cultural trivia of the day: 8 is a considered a very lucky number in China, especially in the south. The Cantonese are particularly into the idea that it brings financial luck. This leads to unusual numerical favoritism when it comes to room numbers, addresses and license plates.

To get things started, here's the photo that brought me to host this thread:

Amateur Sprint by Leighgion, on Flickr

To keep things going, here's a more hazardous-looking shot taken the same afternoon:

Junior Long Jump by Leighgion, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I'll share this one to get this party started. (Love the second action L too!).

Fall Tomatoes

_IMG0145 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #3

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
I've got one too, there was some sort of safety inspection/teen job fair in the Home Depot parking lot near work. I had hoped to get some portraits, but they were closing up by the time I was able to get there. Here's my only keeper.

Worn

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Congrats again on a well-deserved win!

Unfortunately, this means that my posed portraits will carry less weight with the judge this week since these aren't within his preferred photography styles :pinch: Oh well, I'll save myself some later submissions for stuff that Leighgion is more likely to appreciate.

These are some of my results from a portrait outing today. I got to photograph a mother and her 2 daughters in Waterbury, VT for some semi-formal and semi-candid portraits. My first real "gig", even if I did it for free. Had lots of fun, and found lots of places I can improve in the future.

The Walking Girls

Lyndsey In Front

Lindsey and Mom
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Friendly Photon.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Formal

Katie

Swinging
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Friendly Photon.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #6

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Ok, as most know by now my D700 is toast. [trying to locate a new or used one] I had to dig out the old K20 and here is a shot I took last Thursday on the road. Cheers JIm

Fall Colors

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #7

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Um...the master of reflections has spoken again. Hey, Jim two thoughts: 1) it's more about the idiot behind the camera than the camera and this shot shows that, and 2) lovely fall colors buddy!

@FP - Nice environmental portraits in my book. I would say though that 'Formal' and 'Katie in the Middle' have some slight focus problems you might want to think on. In Formal - the person on the right is soft (her face I believe) and that sort of bothers me as the post is excellent. I may be wrong on that but that's what I see. On Katie in the middle, it may have been the point to use selective focus there but I'm again a little bothered by the person on the right being in the shot and closer to me yet being OOF. Hope I'm not off base here with those remarks. OTOH, I think walking and Katie are nicely composed and shot. It's hard shooting people! :~(
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #8

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Tim, first. thank you. As far as the camera versus the equipment, you are correct but knowing your cameras limitations and working around those, gives you that little more. I alos believe good glass really helps and that is not alwaya about $$$ spent. You have to love to do it too or you will never get better. JIM

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #9

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well said.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #10

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, I may have to call this - Bowling Ball Beach Redux. I shot here in February with MikeSF and MattG and have planned this trip for many months with some folks from my local photography meet up group. Here are a few from the trip yesterday.

First real image from our Bowling Ball Beach Expedition in HDR

_IGP1182_3_4 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Sand, Surf, Sea, and Sun

_IGP1217_8_9 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #11

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, after we did the beach thing, we played with fire!

Hot work

_IGP1309 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Hot umbrella

_IGP1315 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

UFO

_IGP1302 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #12

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
dang Tim, i am jealous! nice BBB pics. I also like the framing of your tomatoes.
@Tiff, thats a good one. @FP - well done on the portrait session. Whenever I shoot portraits, I always tell my subject(s), "I am accustomed to shooting bugs and bridges, so if you aren't one of those, please be patient with me..."
Jimbo - so sorry about the D700 and hope you get fixed up with a replacement. Meanwhile, your K20 pics look just like "Jimbo pics" to me.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #13

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
I am slowly chipping away at processing my vacation pics from Maui. Let's say I shot near 2000 pics (many duplicates, brackets, wave bursts, etc), and I've processed about 20 so far...this is gonna take awhile.

But for now,

Shoulders Of Pele

This one captures important landmarks from TWO of the Hawaiian islands. In the foreground is the rim of Mt Haleakala (Maui). In the distance, the venerable Mauna Kea (Hawai'i) rises from the clouds to greet the rising sun. This image was shot a few minutes before sunrise as the sky was burning orange.

Black Beach at Wai'anapanapa

Nu'u Day at Nu'u Bay
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by mikeSF.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #14

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Let's see Mike, you are working through your awesome shots of Hawaii and I have a few from another BBB expedition. I'm jealous of you dude! Thanks.

Edit: love those three but the first is just darned wonderful Mike.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 8 months ago #15

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Jimbo - so sorry about the D700 and hope you get fixed up with a replacement. Meanwhile, your K20 pics look just like "Jimbo pics" to me.

I have Nikon trying to find me a new D700. They will give me a deal on a D800 [about 600.00 bucks off retail and they would keep the old one. I will know tomorrow. I have a few local o nes for sale from 1400.00 to 1700.00 but would prefer new. Going to be expensive lesson no matter which why I go. Really want the D700 back. JIM
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds