Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #16

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
The Minefield

Makena Cove Sunset

Makena Cove
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #17

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I really hope you get a good deal on a D700. I'm pulling for you!

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #18

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Tim, I really love the first image and it is one I would have taken too. The interesting thing is I am finding I rarely print portrait landscapes but I take a lot of them. Weird. JIM

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #19

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
@FP - Nice environmental portraits in my book. I would say though that 'Formal' and 'Katie in the Middle' have some slight focus problems you might want to think on. In Formal - the person on the right is soft (her face I believe) and that sort of bothers me as the post is excellent. I may be wrong on that but that's what I see. On Katie in the middle, it may have been the point to use selective focus there but I'm again a little bothered by the person on the right being in the shot and closer to me yet being OOF. Hope I'm not off base here with those remarks. OTOH, I think walking and Katie are nicely composed and shot. It's hard shooting people! :~(
Thanks for the feedback, I've re-worked the images based on some of the comments you made and posted newer versions in the original posts.

Regarding "Formal", I have no clue why that one's coming out blurry for just the girl in front. In my photo editor, she's tack-sharp like the other 2. But for some reason, when I export the picture, she ends up soft. I haven't been able to resolve this yet. As a temporary workaround, I took a screen capture of the picture right in the editor and used that in my post. Not sure how I'll fix it if they end up wanting a print of it...
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #20

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well now, I like the re-worked images better. No idea why focus would be changed on a posted image, now things like contrast or brightness I can see but not a change in focus to a part of the picture. Weird.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #21

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I have an extra layer over the front girl which boosts sharpness just a tad to bring it more inline with the other 2 models. That layer isn't having any effect when I export the picture, it just gets ignored. Probably a bug in my RAW processing software, or the sharpness plugin I'm using. It's annoying in any case. I'm currently trying to rework the image from scratch using Lightroom to see if I can get better results.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #22

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
JIMBO wrote:
Tim, I really love the first image and it is one I would have taken too. The interesting thing is I am finding I rarely print portrait landscapes but I take a lot of them. Weird. JIM

Thanks and I agree in my landscape work portrait orientation often gets forgotten about. I'd guess it might be a 70/30 or 80/20 split between L/P orientation. I don't think that's so odd really. Landscape = landscape, duh! In that shot though my intent was to emphasize, the rocks in the foreground, the cliffs in the distance, and the sky so to do that even at 16mm (of my DA*16-50) it had to be a portrait orientation. Would I print that one? Not sure yet. Interesting comment though Jim.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #23

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:
I have an extra layer over the front girl which boosts sharpness just a tad to bring it more inline with the other 2 models. That layer isn't having any effect when I export the picture, it just gets ignored. Probably a bug in my RAW processing software, or the sharpness plugin I'm using. It's annoying in any case. I'm currently trying to rework the image from scratch using Lightroom to see if I can get better results.

Interesting, best of luck on that. I think we all want a WISIWIP (what I see is what I post) environment.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #24

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Mike, the Minefield is just a brilliant outa this world shot. Wow.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #25

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
My last three for the week from Bowling Ball Beach

Sea Beacon in Twilight

_IGP1292 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Capturing Sunset

_IGP1259 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Bowling Ally

_IGP1203_4_5 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #26

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
This is a strong week indeed...

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, I mean of course those of you shameless hedonists who visited beautiful and exotic places lately.. I'll have some comments on that and this too, meanwhile some simple photos by me

Couple

Collecting Olives

Lamp

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #27

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Work and sick girlfriend make for busy Leigh.

Just checking in real quick from work where I am typing on my iPad so I can't get into comments yet, but keep it up! Looking great!

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #28

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
ok, last batch from Maui:

Morning at La Perouse Bay

Home Alone

Mahinanui
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by mikeSF.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #29

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Mike - three very nice and quality images all wall calendar quality (that's a compliment). I really like the second and third ones in particular with the second one being my fav. It's one of those images that just says a lot. Well done.

TW3.88: Auspicious Cantonese Edition, Hosted by Leighgion Oct 14-21 4 years 10 months ago #30

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Wow, those scenes from Maui are really captivating. An excellent job!

And now, for something completely different:

Star Gazing

Waking Up

12's a Crowd
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds