Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 2 weeks ago #1

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
[size=150:10rx0rfb]Ladies and Gentlemen It Is My Honor To Bring You That Was The Week That Was #24[/size]
Following in the foot steps of some great previous hosts:
TW3.13 - Wednesday 1 September 2010 hosted by Mr Pink
TW3.14 - Friday 10 September 2010 hosted by JIMBO
TW3.15 - Friday 18 September 2010, hosted by FriendlyPhoton
TW3.16 - Saturday 25th September 2010, hosted by Blackcloudbrew
TW3.17 - Tuesday 5 October 2010, hosted by JIMBO
TW3.18 - Thursday 14 October 2010, hosted by MikeSF
TW3.19 - Thursday, 21st October 2010 - hosted by new2photo
TW3.20 - Thursday, 28 October 2010 - hosted by sf_frank
TW3.21 - Saturday 6th November 2010 - hosted by Leighgion
TW3.22 - Saturday 13th November 2010 - hosted by Damn Brit
TW3.23- Saturday 20th November 2010 - hosted by Friendly Photon

I hope this week you all will have some fun , take lots pictures and share a few of them here !
Deadline for submissions is midnight your local time Sat. 12/4/10

TW3 Rules can be found here <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=189">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=189<!-- l if you are not allready familliar with them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 2 weeks ago #2

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
We all pay lip service to the idea that our equipment doesn't matter. Here's putting it in action with a shot from my phone, a now-vintage model RAZR. It's not sharp and the saturation is lousy, but I still managed to seize a level of mood I wanted. Arguably it might be more effective B&W, but I chose to leave it this way.

Subway Reverie by Leighgion, on Flickr

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 2 weeks ago #3

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Congrats on the big win, DamnRedneck!!!

Leigh, I think you've proven that we all need to carry some sort of camera with us, no matter where we go. ;)

My submissions:

"Surt shall cast fire over the earth, and burn up all the world." - Ragnorak, from the Prose Edda

The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion: After seeing that shot, I'm gonna have to pull my old Canon S3 IS out of mothballs to see what I can do with it :lol: I think that with a genuine understanding of how photography really works, any camera can be used for some excellent creative shots. Problem is, that basic understanding is lacking in most consumers. That's probably why I saw so many people at Niagara Falls taking night pictures of the falls... with their built-in flash firing.

lostminstrel: Those are some truly awe-inspiring cloud colours. I love that you included the light fixtures, it seems to anchor the fantastic scene back into reality. That second shot really gives the impression of a phoenix rising from the ashes.
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #5

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Congrats again DR! Nice opener Leigh, and great colour in those clouds lostminstrel!

I would have to agree with Leigh, on my morning commute yesterday I came across 3 deer in the middle of the road. I had enough time to take a camera out and snap IF I'd had it with me.. know for next time!

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #6

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
N2P - I realized two years ago that if you don't have your camera with you, you can't take a picture. So I've been carrying one with me just about everywhere.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #7

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
blackcloudbrew wrote:
N2P - I realized two years ago that if you don't have your camera with you, you can't take a picture. So I've been carrying one with me just about everywhere.

Right.. and maybe it would make my commute more interesting if I stopped for photo opportunities. :)

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #8

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Good Morning Campers,
Leighgion-you are so right about that shot. Although there are tech issues the forlorn look , heart on the shirt and guys reflection in the window all add layers to the mood of the shot. Nice capture.
Lostminstral - Wow what unusual cloud formations. Really does look like fire in the sky. Would've made a great pano.
Pretty strong start here , lets see what everyone else will post.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #9

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
new2photo wrote:
Congrats again DR! Nice opener Leigh, and great colour in those clouds lostminstrel!

I would have to agree with Leigh, on my morning commute yesterday I came across 3 deer in the middle of the road. I had enough time to take a camera out and snap IF I'd had it with me.. know for next time!
blackcloudbrew wrote:
new2photo wrote:

Right.. and maybe it would make my commute more interesting if I stopped for photo opportunities. :)

NEWSFLASH - The Kuwaiti government has just banned the use of cameras while driving. Expecti it to be happening in a non muslim, non monarchic, secular, western democratic country soon. :lol:

Leigh, that is a really good shot, if Vermeer were alive and in China, it's just the sort of picture he would paint. Another plus about it, is that it's the kind of picture that would have the gear heads tearing out their hair in disbelief that you dared to take, let alone post such an image. :w00t:

LM, I get colours like that quite often for my sunsets over here on the west coast. But where I manage to get drama from the colours and the scene itself (bay and GG bridge in the distance), you've managed to capture fire and motion in these. I'm seeing, in #1 The flying mane of a galloping horse, in #2 some kind of mythical winged beast, and in #3 a lunging head of something monstrous.
Great stuff.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #10

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Damn Brit wrote:
<snip>

LM, I get colours like that quite often for my sunsets over here on the west coast. But where I manage to get drama from the colours and the scene itself (bay and GG bridge in the distance), you've managed to capture fire and motion in these. I'm seeing, in #1 The flying mane of a galloping horse, in #2 some kind of mythical winged beast, and in #3 a lunging head of something monstrous.
Great stuff.

Hmm, seems that you & FP got the same vibe for #2. Sadly, as I was PPing it - and making it look more violent - I had the very sobering thought - "was this anything like what the South Koreans saw last week when their homes were attacked?" :'( '(

Leigh, the more I look at your photo the more it grows on me. I think the low saturation is more effective than increased sat or B&W.

Now, c'mon everybody else! We want pics!
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #11

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
lostminstrel wrote:
Leigh, the more I look at your photo the more it grows on me. I think the low saturation is more effective than increased sat or B&W.

Agreed, don't now about you, but I would describe it as having a seedy feel, which I think is very appropriate considering it is very much a voyeuristic image.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #12

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Thanks folks, you've made my phone very happy, a needed boost to its morale with all the cussing out I give it for not understanding Chinese. :p

Maybe it's just me and my particular age, but my phone shot makes me think of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."

Lovely colors, Lostminstrel. I offer up some totally synthetic color in exchange, courtesy of a most unexpected karaoke night.

Ganbei! by Leighgion, on Flickr

Karaoke Fuel, Part II by Leighgion, on Flickr

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #13

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Leighgion wrote:

Maybe it's just me and my particular age, but my phone shot makes me think of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."

You're just plain weird. To think we might soon be neighbours makes me shudder... but in a good way. :D

I really like the shot with the glasses, for one orange is my favourite colour, I also find the effect of the glasses gradually blending into the background very appealing.

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #14

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
[size=85:tmnc3vu5]*grumble* *grumble*[/size]
I woke up to this crap a few days ago >:| |

Dreaded Snow

Time to put those studded tires on my mountain bike.

On the upside, I'm treated to these pretty colours this time of year:

Sunset Silhouette

(I actually missed the pretty colours by about 2 minutes, this is what was left of them by the time I got my camera, put a memory card in it, and went outside... stupid, elusive colours)

But when snow dampens my mood, I'm quick to remember my awesome experience at the Olympic Stadium last week:

About 20,000 People

(giant panorama, click on it to see a much bigger version that's about 1/5 as big as the original)
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.24 November 28th , 2010 hosted by DamnRedneck 7 years 1 week ago #15

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Friendly Photon wrote:

But when snow dampens my mood, I'm quick to remember my awesome experience at the Olympic Stadium last week:

(giant panorama, click on it to see a much bigger version that's about 1/5 as big as the original)

You were doing so well, then you went and spoiled it.

Nicely placed lead-in lines and vanishing point in the first one. Very pretty, I'd even go so far as to say "delicate" colours in the second shot. It's also nicely balanced with just the right amount of treeline.
Just a hint for shots like your first one (the wider the lens, the more you can do it), point the camera down as much as you can get away with, it really helps with the perspective.
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds