Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #16

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Wow, great start guys!

LM - beautiful shots. those bird look like they're gonna pop out of the screen.

Rosemary - I'm speechless, that's just amazing.

JIM - landscapes is something I know nothing about and I admire your results. are those the real colors or did you use some kind of IR effect? either way it looks amazing. I would LOVE to live in a place like that, it's really beautiful

FP - three nice moody shots, that leaf look especially nice

blackcloudbrew - IR & fisheye! great results you got there, I like the second one most

MikeSF - Awesome macros! thats another thing I suck at. the clover is really really really nice

J.Scott - another wow! both shots are great, the first is my favorite. is that B&W or that is how the world is like up there?

blackcloudbrew - great, great & great! all three shots are very appealing. (note to self: shot some film in the next month - preferably B&W)

looks like there's not much room for me >:| |
here comes some casual photos from recently, hopefully I'll get to shoot some more in the next week but time is a menace :ninja:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #17

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
some people and some oranges

Gal

Guy

Oranges

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #18

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
LM - nice hosting so far, your mallards shot is just cool, those ducks just rip off that photo. Excellent.

Rosemary - the Japanese motif of this image is an excellent effect. Normally we want to get the 3d dimension out of our photography, you've flatten it just like a scroll or screen, very well done.

Jimbo - two great sets. I like the third one of the first three the best with the frozen boat a close second. Both images tell a story and make me dream about those places. Well done guy.

FP - I like your lone leaf shot. The bokeh works well in this image for me.

Mike - your drop on a leaf is just brilliant. I've seen a number of these and have never tried it myself but yours is killer - simple, effective, interesting, and colorful. On the guitars, the picture frame - to me - detracts from the image. For some reason I'd like to see all of the guitars and their stands. Any cropping of their parts somehow leaves them not quite whole. It's a good shot though.

JScott - I like your second shot. I'd try a selective color treatment on that just for fun if it were mine.

Pablo - three very nice images. the two head shots are well composed and interesting to me. I think the gal is the best of the two but not by much. The oranges are fun and I like the shot but I want something more from it. Not sure what but that's what I see.

Great tread so far.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #19

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Pablo wrote:
J.Scott - another wow! both shots are great, the first is my favorite. is that B&W or that is how the world is like up there?
No, that's just how our world looks like right now in the great white north :meh: Although Jeff is subjected to it a lot more than I am.
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #20

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
blackcloudbrew wrote:
BTW - I'm thinking that as this is the extended edition of TW3, might we be able to add one more set of 3 images (a maximum of 12) on this thread?
Friendly Photon wrote:
I agree. I already cheated in the last TW3 for that reason. However, it's up to our host, so we must appeal to him.

You guys just want me to work more, don't you... is this some sort of rookie hazing? >:) )

Seriously, though, I have been thinking that we should bump the submissions limit up to 12 this round, and since you both think it's a good ideea...

ATTENTION TW3 PARTICIPANTS!!! You are allowed an extra set of 3 images for this round of TW3!!!
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #21

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Just a few thoughts on the early submissions...

Rosemary, your client must be absolutely thrilled with that image. The mind asks, "is that a photo or a painting?" but, like the Mona Lisa, your image only suggests, not affirms.

JIMBO, to say these shots are typical of you would be truthful, yet would not emphasize enough how lovely they are. You set the bar very high for yourself.

FP, I'm glad you are taking advantage of the weather. I for one, certainly wouldn't mind seeing more shots in similar vein to your 1st set.

mikeSF, I think we all expect tasteful, lovingly-imagined shots from you, and these do not disappoint.

J.Scott, "'leaf' it alone" is the kind of shot I try for myself, although not necessarily with the amount of success you've had here. How cool it is to have a photo that is nearly naturally selectively colored.

Pablo, I almost always prefer candid to formal portraiture, and your shot "Guy" demonstrates why. Just from your capture, I feel like I know him.

BCB, whatever planet those ferns are from, I want to visit there. And I am not afraid of the harsh world you depict in your 2nd set of photos.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #22

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:
No, that's just how our world looks like right now in the great white north :meh: Although Jeff is subjected to it a lot more than I am.

Yeah - things are pretty dull, colour wise, up here. The sun came out about an hour after I walked the dogs and it looked a lot different. I was going to venture out with my K10D and the 50mm but didn't make it for certain mechanical reasons.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #23

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
LM, there is a cheesy tradition in England of having three flying ducks hanging on a wall by way of decoration. Never seen them on a glass wall though, that is exactly how they would look (not so nice from the outside though :) ).

Rosemary, looks like you have a good thing going with that style of editing, I hope it brings you more clients.

Jim, the frost in those trees make it look like some kind of hybrid IR effect, very pleasing to look at.
The shot of the boat covered in frost is really neat, and different. The third shot in your second set is so serene and peaceful.

Frank, I like the way 'frosty fingers' portrays the contrast of water in two different states.

Tim, even though I was there when you took the shot, I can't look at the palm shot and not see the subject as feathers.
'Texture' is a really good looking image, the contrast is great, and the way the perspective bunches the formations closer together as the eye follows the diagonal up through the frame creates movement.

Mike, I love the simplicity of the waterdrop on the blade of grass, the background is a lovely contrasting colour.

Jeff, 'leaf it alone' is a great portrayal of the decay brought on by winter, the subdued tones are very effective.

Pablo, you found a very photogenic model for 'Gal', and 'Guy' is a nice, natural capture.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #24

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Three from me.
'Ridge-id'
_IGP3479_TW3.28.jpg

'Through the Shadows to the Heart'
_IGP3480_TW3.28.jpg

'Love Lies Bleeding'
_IGP3495_Love_Lies_Bleeding_TW3.28.jpg

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #25

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
'Love Lies Bleeding'
That, right there, is one of the most revolting and amazing pictures I've ever seen.
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #26

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Friendly Photon wrote:
That, right there, is one of the most revolting and amazing pictures I've ever seen.

I'll take that as a compliment Frank. :D

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #27

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Three more. Cheers JIM

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #28

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Another strong week. So many great images. Gary, really like the B&W's. Hard to pick out out. Rosemary, love the PP on this image and it has so much style. Tim, IR... are you sure :theft: :cop: :w00t: Mike, you just keep putting up awesome images week aftyer week. lostminstrel.. Cool birds is flight. Good luck to everyone. JIMBO

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #29

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
wow, spectacular flying ducks, ferns that look like feathers, brilliant lemons, undulating palms, an icy motorboat,fabulous ice and snow shots, gorgeous beach B&Ws...then a screaming bald eagle...and more... this is a great week of posts already.

Today my car broke down and i was stranded at the brake shop for 4.5 hours far from home, so i walked to a nearby mall, and dang i wish i had my camera. there were so many great shots everywhere, i couldnt believe it. ah well, timing is always part of the equation.
Pablo wrote:
MikeSF - Awesome macros! thats another thing I suck at. the clover is really really really nice
thanks very much. i was literally walking around the emaciated winter yard searching for anything i could shoot and got down in the mud and saw a patch of clover with raindrops on it. that grass blade with the droplet is really tiny, such that the rich red background is actually just a tiny sprig of red clover a couple of inches behind it. the FOV was tight using the 90mm at 1:1 plus a Raynox 150.
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Mike - your drop on a leaf is just brilliant. I've seen a number of these and have never tried it myself but yours is killer - simple, effective, interesting, and colorful. On the guitars, the picture frame - to me - detracts from the image. For some reason I'd like to see all of the guitars and their stands. Any cropping of their parts somehow leaves them not quite whole. It's a good shot though.

thanks tim. the guitar shot was more a snap than a portrait, but was a trial run for a shot i want to take soon with 6 of my guitars. The challenge with curvy glossy instruments is keeping the lighting hotspots under control (i have no softbox nor other fancy studio rig, just a bounce flash, a reflector, and a lamp), so this was practice for me in positioning the guitars accordingly, and also finding the right FL to use. This FL (16mm) is too wide such that the bodies of the guitars are distorted, but to fit all 6 instruments in a frame with a 50mm+ would require a much larger room. I will figure it out eventually. I must shoot the guitars at night after my wife goes to bed because she does not know the exact number of guitars i own...i spread them all around the house under beds and such.. :p not unlike some of you do with your lenses and other gear, right????

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 3 months ago #30

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Hmm, have we hit a bit of a lull? :?:

C'mon guys, let's go!

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds