Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #46

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well...er...um...Earl (actually the full name is Earl da Pearl) is my alter ego as an admin on another forum (PW). That's about the short list of names that I'm willing to divulge here.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #47

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Just in from a family trip to Asheville, NC for a funeral. Not much opportunity for shooting pics, but here are a couple of my son from the plane:

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #48

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
and there was plenty of snow for everyone. My little daughter(2) didn't think twice about being pushed down a fairly big hill by her brothers and cousins:

they won the race

this sign at a gas station made me laugh:

Asheville is also the home of the magnificent Biltmore Estate. We've been there a few times in the past but i thought the fresh snow would make for a great landscape shot, so i got up early in 6 degree F weather and made for the mansion...turns out, you cannot enter the outer gate until 9am...dang! By then, the light was gone but i decided to go onto the property anyhow to see what i could get. Well, they won't allow you to get anywhere near the outside of the building without first paying for the $40 tour..."i only want to take a picture from the outside, not do the tour", I exclaimed. The lady at the visitors' center said, "no dice". I stormed out and shouted, "No wonder the Vanderbilts were RICH!"
:wth:

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #49

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Well...er...um...Earl (actually the full name is Earl da Pearl) is my alter ego as an admin on another forum (PW). That's about the short list of names that I'm willing to divulge here.

Eventually, we'll learn your Elven name. Just you wait.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #50

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Oooo, for got about that. Actually I'm one of the men from Long Lake - Bard to be exact. I'm good with a bow.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #51

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
All this searching for my many names as got me forgetting to add a few more images to this. So here goes. I went to the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers last Sunday for a photo shoot with my wife and a friend. It's an elegant 1880's structure provides an interesting subject itself in addition to its contents. I was again shooting in both visible and IR light. I was shooting mostly with primes, which I don't do enough of.

The central dome and entry way in color IR. DA40

Detail on one of the wings of the buildings. FA35

On more of the dome also in IR. DA40

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #52

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
On the inside of the SF Conservatory I found a few other things to shoot.

This is natural light changed by some colored glass panels in the main dome which just happened to fall on this leaf. DA21.

Orchid detail with DFA100 macro and ring light.

Looking up through the ferns at the inside of the main dome in color IR. DA21.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #53

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
What a beautiful place Tim. (Or whatever you call yourself today. :D ) I truly envy those of you that reside in more temperate climes.

I am getting drawn into the wacky world of IR. I can't remember if you had a camera overhauled or are simply using a filter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one used a filter you would see blackness whist peering through the viewfinder. How is it with a modified camera? What do you see in the viewfinder?

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #54

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
J.Scott wrote:
What a beautiful place Tim. (Or whatever you call yourself today. :D ) I truly envy those of you that reside in more temperate climes.

I am getting drawn into the wacky world of IR. I can't remember if you had a camera overhauled or are simply using a filter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one used a filter you would see blackness whist peering through the viewfinder. How is it with a modified camera? What do you see in the viewfinder?

Thanks, well it's cold for us here and it's not feeling very temperate at the moment. However, the conservatory was a lot of fun as several of the rooms were quite warm and humid (for the orchids).

IR - I have a modified Pentax K100ds camera to shoot IR now. With the modification to the filter on the sensor, you see a normal image in the viewfinder. This make IR much easier than with a filter on the lens. I've done the filter on lens deal and it's a PIA and yes you see mostly blackness with the filter on the lens. The camera modification is very helpful but you still have to do some actually quite odd post processing.

If you want to see the rest of my images from this shoot, you can see it on my flickr site here:
[url:3b3yx9jg]www.flickr.com/photos/blackcloudbrew/sets/72157625797829728/[/url]

Another thought on IR. DB and I were talking a bit about it on our recent shoot. He said he goes hot and cold on it clearly it can be over done. I'm still at the unbound enthusiasm stage but I can see were a little goes a long way. I'm learning that lenses can behave differently in IR light. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get out of it.

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #55

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
blackcloudbrew wrote:
...I'm still at the unbound enthusiasm stage but I can see were a little goes a long way. I'm learning that lenses can behave differently in IR light. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get out of it.

Isn't that funny? No matter how much of a veteran someone is at something, give him a new "toy", and he goes nuts. To tweak Abraham Maslow's saying, "when your newest tool is a hammer, you wanna pound the bejeebers out of everything!" :lol:
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #56

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
Isn't that funny? No matter how much of a veteran someone is at something, give him a new "toy", and he goes nuts. To tweak Abraham Maslow's saying, "when your newest tool is a hammer, you wanna pound the bejeebers out of everything!" :lol:
I got a sweet pry bar this Christmas. I'm still looking for something to pry with it, just so I can use it :lol:
Photons are your friends! :-)

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #57

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Friendly Photon wrote:
I got a sweet pry bar this Christmas. I'm still looking for something to pry with it, just so I can use it :lol:

I think my g/f would like to borrow your pry bar to use on my wallet... :ninja: :lol:

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #58

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
A few shots taken during last week's snowfall:

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #59

• rmtagg
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 10
I have been so sick for 4 days making my entrapment in the house over a week in length! Still not feeling so great but as a true artist/photographer I just could not stand it any more. This has the potential to make one do crazy things, lol So off to the park I went with my camera. Once there I found I was only the 2nd one to tarnish the beauty of our 7+ inches of snow. So, taking it slow and easy and feeling the peacefulness and quite of a day like this I took some iamges and felt a bit rejuvenated :) Now that I am home and trying to thaw out I think I may have over done it a bit but enjoyed myself immensely.
Attachments:

TW3.28 January 3rd, 2011, Hosted by LostMinstrel 6 years 9 months ago #60

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
rmtagg wrote:
I have been so sick for 4 days making my entrapment in the house over a week in length! Still not feeling so great but as a true artist/photographer I just could not stand it any more. This has the potential to make one do crazy things, lol So off to the park I went with my camera. Once there I found I was only the 2nd one to tarnish the beauty of our 7+ inches of snow. So, taking it slow and easy and feeling the peacefulness and quite of a day like this I took some iamges and felt a bit rejuvenated :) Now that I am home and trying to thaw out I think I may have over done it a bit but enjoyed myself immensely.

That's a lovely winter high-key image. I especially like the gentle but finite OOF area, with the dollops of red leading the eye across the frame.

Glad you're beginning to feel better, and I hope you're back to your normal self in no time! :)

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds