Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #16

• sf_frank
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 2
There are a lot of great shots posted so far. Excellent work everyone.

mikeSF - I love that first shot of the bridge - great capture.
Pablo - The spear shot is excellent - very creative capture.
Tim - That second shot is really cool. I like the B&W - great conversion and lighting.
Gary - Nice colors in all those shots. Nice work.

Here are few shots take at my favorite beach (Thornton Beach State Park in San Mateo County).

Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by sf_frank.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #17

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
great submissions everyone!

@Pablo: I am interested in your water drop. got any more to share? Also like the lens flare; can you boost the brightness any to make it jump out more?

@LM: That bluebird is dazzling. It is well executed in composition and lighting, using fill flash(i think) and just the right amount of DOF, imo. It almost looks like the bird is in the safety of some shelter looking out on the harshness of winter. i love this.

@Jimbo: how do you like being called a "senior" boarder? yikes! :-) The mist always adds a richness to these forest images. As I have rarely seen woods like these, I am always in awe of such unspoiled beauty.

@DB: I knew it! Sutro Tower is the beacon of Satan himself. Avert your eyes, people...oh, and DON'T tune to KTVU, KPIX, KRON, KGO...and the ever fiendish PBS. My favorite of your series is the Apocalypse Sunset in which the sun has that lovely shape that i remember from "Planet of the Apes" and some of my favorite war movies. I think I see a formation of Hueys (or Blackhawks, for the yung'uns) silhouetted against this sky in my mind.

@Tim: I agree, you and the others who shoot IR should start an ongoing collection to display some of these. It is always cool to see these and wrap my head around the cognitive dissonance which generally surrounds seeing a flag with all the wrong colors as well as fern leaves that look like ostrich feathers, etc. amazing.

@SFFrank: Man, all the time i lived in Brisbane and Daly City, I never knew about Thornton Beach. We'd been to Ft Funston to the north and then all the beaches from Mussel Rock down to Montara. IIRC, Mussel Rock(just south of Thornton) is the point at which the San Andreas Fault goes offshore before making landfall again up near Stinson Beach/Pt Reyes in Marin. I like the composition of #1 with the person walking and the afternoon light casting long shadows. nice!

Keep 'em coming...
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by mikeSF.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #18

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Very nice Frank. I'm a lover of good beach shots and those are very nice. The third one is just excellent and could be equally effective in b&w too.

Mike, I'll have to start an "It's an IR World" thread soon. I'm shooting this whole month in IR with one camera on my 12-24mm lens. It's a learning experience for sure. Perhaps our kind admins might even open up a new title in "the place to share" for IR photography.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #19

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Quote: how do you like being called a "senior" boarder? yikes
:~(

That does sound a like odd. I have been calles a lot of things over my 56 years. Looks like I am adding one more. JIMBO

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #20

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Dude, I'm like a boarder dude. Totally radical.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #21

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Throwin' a few more logs on the fire from Sunday evening...

Mt. Tam & GGB

Land's End

GGB in B&W

and here's where I was when I almost met my demise...I managed to collect myself momentarily to capture a final photo just in case. :p

NOT FOR TW3 JUDGING - this photo for entertainment purposes only

Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by mikeSF.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #22

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Frank, welcome back, hope you had a great trip. How's your son doing?

I love the simplicity of form and texture in your third shot.

Mike, everyone knows the colour of the GG bridge, that's why I hadn't commented on your earlier shots, there's just so many good shots of it. But there aren't too many B&W pictures of the GGB, this one you've posted is very good.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #23

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
DB - heh, I've already done a B&W image of the graffiti deer, just waitin' for my next set. :happy: Striking color in your images, I think you chose great proportions in your compositions. I'm curious about the softness in the towers of the 1st & 3rd. The tonality of the 2nd is WOW, and the last makes me think that Wonder Woman has commenced a flyover! :w00t:

BCB, in your 2nd shot, it's really hard for me to reconcile that it was 82F - it looks so cold. I'd clone out those lens flares - should be easy.

sf_frank, it's great to have you back, and I'm sure we'd all love to have an update on your son. Your first shot would be great as part of a pano, I'm thinking.

MikeSF, if I had view available to me, I think I'd have about 10,000 shots. I'm not kidding. :wth: The last B&W is AMAZING. :wiz: Oh, and my bluebird was not shot w/flash, believe it or not - there was sun with light cloud cover, and with snow and ice everywhere, it was kind of like shooting with a huge softbox.
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #24

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
My second trio...

I kinda mikeSF'd this one; I was scrambling around a 12' waterfall, which had mostly frozen over, and fell about 6' on the rocks and ice. No serious casualties, as I was only bruised, and my cheapo tripod a little battered.

Domestic Foxcat

Hobos by Nature, B&W

Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by lostminstrel.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #25

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
SF Frank, looking at your images again, I noticed the way the waist of the girl is perfectly lined up with the edge of the surf. Whether by accident or design, it's a nice subtle touch that is effective.

lostminstrel wrote:
DB - Striking color in your images, I think you chose great proportions in your compositions. I'm curious about the softness in the towers of the 1st & 3rd. The tonality of the 2nd is WOW, and the last makes me think that Wonder Woman has commenced a flyover! :w00t:

Thanks LM, I was pleased with how the tones in #2 worked out. As for the softness of the towers, the originals look pretty good, but you have to consider, the air in the area isn't that great what with fog and pollution, and from my deck to the tower is just over 18 miles. I was also using the 55-300 with 1.7 TC, that will soften things a little at that distance.
Maybe the forum software also has a little to do with it as well (although these next three I'm posting look ok). We were spoilt by the previous software I think, shame the rest of it let us down. I do miss the darker background as well. FP, is there anything that can be done about that?

The 'Graffiti Deer' really does look great in B&W, I'd have to put that down as a contender.
'Domestic Foxcat' is very nice as well, great pose, and I like the background.
Sorry to here about your tumble, you be careful mate.

Three colour themed shots for me. I think these will be the last for this week, I'm looking after Serafin quite a bit this week.

'Pale Yellow'

_IGP3992_TW3.31.jpg

'Borderline Green'

_IGP3991_TW3.31.jpg

'Clipped Orange'

_IGP3985_TW3.31.jpg
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Damn Brit.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #26

• sf_frank
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 2
Damn Brit wrote:
Frank, welcome back, hope you had a great trip. How's your son doing?

I love the simplicity of form and texture in your third shot.

Thanks Gary.

I've been back from Thailand for about 10 days. I am still working on my pics from the trip. I'll post some pics in the near future. Since it was a motorcycle trip, I didn't bring much photo gear, I only had 2 P&S cameras. Traveling with a SLR is difficult when on a motorcycle - you can't put a SLR in your pocket and that's all the storage space I have when riding.

As to my son, his surgery went well and he has recovered well. As you might remember, the surgeon broke my son's upper jaw and moved it forward about 5mm to correct a problem with the alignment of his upper and lower jaw. My son's jaw was wired closed for 2 weeks, followed by 2 more weeks being held closed by rubber bands. Today my son had some of the hardware removed from his mouth and his teeth line up just right. Tomorrow he gets some more wires removed and he will be able to eat better. It will still be another month or 2 before he can eat peanut brittle. After talking to my wife, I'm glad I was in Thailand during my son's recovery - let's just say my son was difficult to deal with for the first week or so after he got home from the hospital.

BTW, I saw the bill for my son's surgery - for 4 hours of surgery and a night in the hospital, the final bill would be $49,000 :o . Thank goodness for insurance :happy: .

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #27

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for that good news Frank. Love to see you Thai shots in a separate thread, when you can.

Tim

DB - interesting color series from you. I'm not wild about the green boarder shot, it needs something for interest, but the other two are nice images. I particularly like the orange shot for it's color and red backgroud. Simple and effective.

LM (or perhaps we should call you lost avatar...) - I like the water fall but it doesn't quite grab me somehow. The firecat (great title!) is interesting for it tonalities and bokeh. I really like the Hobos shot and this is one of those that I keep coming back too. The symmetry of the two deers looking at the camera is very cool and the juxtaposition of the graffiti is just darn interesting.

Mike - more nice GGB shots but I think your first batch was the better of the two (but only just by a little bit). Your scene of the near fall shot...I was expecting blood! Where's the blood? :p

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #28

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
DB, I was thinking that perhaps you were using a TC... which one is it? I recently sold my Kenko 2x MC4 and have an MC7 on the way. I agree it would be nice to have a dark background when clicking on the posted image to view.

"Clipped Orange" tickled my funnybone :lol:

BCB, I agree that the frozen waterfall is "pretty", but not much of a photo... there's simply no place for the eye to focus on and be lead across the frame. Glad you like the B&W Hobos! :happy: The graffiti is on the side of a small structure that is beside the railroad tracks referenced in the previous TW3. There was actually a group of 3 deer, but the one time I was able to get them all posing for the shot, I missed focus, darn trees! :~(

Anyway, here's the "family group", I think consisting of a mother, son, and younger... male? female?

(for interest only, not TW3 competition)

deertrio.jpg

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #29

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Thanks LM for sharing the 'Rest of the Story.' Good eye.

Re: TW3.31 February 6, 2011, Hosted by Blackcloudbrew 7 years 8 months ago #30

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Sweet set of shots Pablo. I like the abstraction of the third one best but the mood of the sleeping Sargent is excellent. (you didn't show that to her right?).
Thanks Tim, I was on a long bus ride and out of boredom started looking at pictures in the camera, then I look aside and see this Sergent ranked lady and couldn't resist, but then my old Kiron started flaring like crazy (no hood, yet) and after fighting it a little I surrendered and photographed the flare (it was MUCH brighter before PP, the background is bus seats.
I think I'll get rid of that bright highlight on the upper left of the spear shot, as LM suggested, it is a little distracting.
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds