Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed.

TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #1

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 85
  • Honor Medal
That was the week that was version 38!

Wow, here we go again.

First off, a BIG thank you to J. Scott for an excellent job of hosting TW3.37 and for boiling 9 pages of notes down to a really concise summary and critique. I think the bar has been set quite high and I hope to be up to that challenge at the conclusion of this week.

Ok, the rules are here. The rules.

I'll receive entries until about midnight April 9th PDT or so.

Given the recent change of the season, I propose a loose theme here of simply 'Spring' although as always, I'll take all comers, but if you want to try to focus a bit let's see what Spring looks like.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 85
  • Honor Medal
To get this party started, here are a few of mine.

A quite place in the forest (in Spring)
Quiet Forest by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Spring flowers
IMGP9155 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #3

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
This week has been warm and clear(temps reaching 85F inland), quite a contrast from the previous 2 weeks of rain. I've been wanting to get over to the bridge to try again at some landscape pics, and got lucky with these:

Bridge & Reflection

The DA15mm has a 7-bladed aperture which makes these 14-point starbursts when you stop down the lens.

Night Lights

Another shot with the 15mm at f/9.5

City by the Bay

To see it larger, click HERE

This one is a 3-frame pano using the 70mm. It's my first time shooting panos and stitching the frames together and I've not figured out a good way to post them nor allow people to view them; perhaps the experts can chime in here, as i have another that is very large (67 framesx200mm), but that may need to remain my little secret.:(
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by mikeSF.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #4

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 85
  • Honor Medal
Very nice start Mike. Love the 14 point star effects. Are either of the first two HDR? I really haven't done any shooting of the GGB at night. I must remember that and give it a try. I've shot it just after sunrise and it's my fav. But these images argue for a second opinion on that. I like the first shot the best but only just. Nice.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #5

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
BCB, the flowers are bright and beautiful, and color is much needed here. Yesterday we had 3" of snow, followed by rain.

Mike, stunning GG shots, as we all expect from you! The starbursts, reflections and lighting of "Bridge & Reflection" are all killer. "Night Lights" is equally as good, and the abrupt cessation of the bridge's lighted reflection of the water gives the shot a slightly otherworldly look from my perspective.

The pano is pretty awesome, and I sincerely hope that folks will click on it to view the entire image. It's well worth it, IMHO.

I couldn't even imagine how exacting it must be to create a 67x200mm pano! :o :o
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #6

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Very nice start Mike. Love the 14 point star effects. Are either of the first two HDR? I really haven't done any shooting of the GGB at night. I must remember that and give it a try. I've shot it just after sunrise and it's my fav. But these images argue for a second opinion on that. I like the first shot the best but only just. Nice.

thanks! These are single exposure, not HDR. It was 8pm & totally dark by this time, so I did not need to contend with the sky overpowering the scene. The #3 (daylight) shot was during golden hour; afterwhich, the light became very flat and then about 45min later, the rich blue evening sky started to kick in and the city lights began to pop.

lostminstrel wrote:

I couldn't even imagine how exacting it must be to create a 67x200mm pano! :o :o

It was much easier than you'd think. Initially, I was just shooting a couple closeup frames of the financial district skyline with the Tamron200 and decided to shoot a few more frames on either side of my subject...i was pretty sloppy with the tripod since i dont have a panning head, just a joystick, which throws the vertical out of line everytime i squeeze it to pan sideways(ugh!) Anyhow, i just went through and shot a bunch and then fed them into Photoshop and it did an amazing job putting them together. The composite file was well over 2GB and my computer kept choking on it. I compressed and reduced it to a 21MB file, but i still don't know how to allow someone to view it. Here is a crop of a single frame in that giant pano:

**not for TW3 judging*** for entertainment purposes only***

that got shrunk - here is the original size:
mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p1061529161.jpg

[after loading, you may need to click again on the image to zoom it to full size]

Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by mikeSF.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #7

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Great GG pics Mike! That pano is massive.. wow. However, when I click on your link I get "content protected by owner".

Tim: I like the image of the B&W woods with the light coming through the trees, nice effect. And so nice to see flowers. We didn't get the snow LM did, but it's still pretty dreary up here.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #8

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
tiffpix wrote:
Great GG pics Mike! That pano is massive.. wow. However, when I click on your link I get "content protected by owner"..

oops, fixed it...i think

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #9

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Spring time here means the sap is running, so I've got a selection from our trip to the sugar shack.

Buckets, buckets everywhere

And a drop to drink

The mysterious photo I was contorting myself for in FP's photo last week.

Layers

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #10

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Playing around with PP

Mighty

Fun guys

Good to the last drop

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #11

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
mikeSF wrote:
The DA15mm has a 7-bladed aperture which makes these 14-point starbursts when you stop down the lens.
Actually it's even cooler than that, and your example shows it really well. The 7-bladed aperture on the 15mm Ltd closes in such a way that every other line in the starburst is shorter (technically each line is offset). So the starburst lines go: short-long-short-long-etc all the way around. At first I thought it was a unique "quality" of my 15mm Ltd, but apparently it's a design decision since mikeSF's does it too.

Here's an example from mine (not one of my weekly submissions):

GORE1283.JPG
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Friendly Photon.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #12

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
@Tiff - cool! I was wondering when we'd get to see the pic you were down in the snow for. Layers is very nice and the angle of view is just terrific! You've managed to expose the snow just right so as to catch all that lovely texture in the foreground.
I also really like the "Last Drop" pic. You nailed focus and DOF on that one for sure.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #13

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
This just in!
My kids just told me there was a squirrel digging around the backyard and i caught the little sucker!

Squirrel Portrait

EDIT...and I may as well add these two from today to this series of chubby cheeked critters:

"Hey, what's this do?"

Uh oh, playground tractor beam!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by mikeSF.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #14

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
wow, I knew tiffpix got some good pictures on our "Sucrerie" outing, and I've caught a glimpse of the post processing while she was working on them, but those pictures are simply stunning to behold.

"And a drop to drink" makes me mad because all my attempts to capture a falling drop of sap were met with failure, and that one captures the moment perfectly.

"Mighty" is breathtaking in its stark contrast. It's amazing that such a narrow range of tones can still convey so much subtle detail.

And as mikeSF pointed out, you really nailed the focus and DOF in "Good to the last drop".

...simply, wow
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #15

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds