Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #16

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
tiffpix, "Good to the last drop" is very cute, looks like a face with a single drop of drool on it's tongue :p

mikeSF, not only is the squirrel cute, but also the shallow DOF really draws attention to the eyes.

JIMBO, the 1st shoot looks like "modern sculpture" :lol: Good catch in finding such an interesting design among the mundane.
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #17

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
In keeping with BCB's request for a theme of Spring, my "Spring" shots from yesterday, 4/1:

Spring, April's Fool, a Series

Lake Musconetcong 4/1/2011 (pano, 4 frames)

you can't really see the snow falling; to see a larger version click HERE

Cormorant Braves the Storm

"You told me the weather would be nice here!"

Funny that Mike & I both did panos. :cool:

Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by lostminstrel.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #18

• JIMBO
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Few birds shots from this week. The first two are American Bittern and the last is a Flicker. LM, thanks for the comment on the first image I put up. Really liked that one and it is going to print. JIMBO

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #19

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
JIMBO, I'm lovin' the 2 Bittern shots.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #20

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Folks, in keeping with the 3 photos per post guideline, i just edited my last squirrel post to add 2 more photos if you'll kindly have a look see. thx.

@Jimbo - that #1 looks like a spider robot . it is very nice and i dig the reflections on #1 and #3.

@LostMinister(haha) - beautiful pano and those two bird images are just wonderful. Hat's off to all of you who brave the elements to get the shot...i gotta say, it gets too chilly around here and i'm stayin' inside, thank you very much!

well done!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #21

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
BCB - Very powerful B&W forest scene followed up by pretty and delicate wildflowers in glorious living colour. Super kick off! Good luck hosting my friend!

MikeSF - Fantastic night time shots of the GGB. That first one has it all; star bursts, reflections and deep colours. Panos are difficult but you've managed to pull anther rabbit out of the hat; looks too good to be real. And neat squirrel portrait. I trust you had a telephoto lens. Do not get close to those creatures, they are evil - they've got fangs! Great timing on capturing the girls face being sucked off by the alien tractor beam!

tiffpix - what can I say; these are really good! I really like the second one; the birth of maple syrup! The drops make the pictures come alive. Great timing! I also like the duo-tone job on the maple tree; that worked out well! 'Fun Guys' look like clams - weird, I know.

Jimbo - Both of your reflection shots are quite artistic. The one with the reeds made me do a double take. It has a distinct 'Daddy Long Legs' look to it, or some freakish creature from a sci-fi movie. Nice captures of the American Bittern and Yellow Shafted Flicker. Both will take flight if frightened off. You must have a long lens or you are not viewed as a threat by them. Are you the 'Bird Whisper' or something? I just can't get over how green everything is in BC. We're still up to our ying yangs in snow and ice.

Last Minister - (Your new name!) Snow!? WTH! Well at least your lakes are open and not covered in 3 feet of ice. Poor birds must be confused. Actually, the Horned Grebe and Red-Necked Grebe in the last picture spend the winter in your area and the summer in western Canada. I like your pano too, but where's the big bridge? J/K! It looks like a calm serene place to hang out. Good job. (It would be nice to be able to see a larger version of the pano, too.)
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by J.Scott.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #22

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Jimbo: Love that first image, although all 3 of your first set are really interesting, those angles and reflections you caught.. wow! Great photos of the birds as well.

LM: Yikes! We didn't get that much snow, you captured it very well, especially that pano

Mike: lol, love those 2 shots you added to the squirrel, and seconding the shallow DOF makes a really cool squirrel pic

and thanks for your comments everyone!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #23

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Lost Minister, Last Minister... if one of you fellas learns to play the banjo, you can call me "Sinister Minister"...:w00t:

Mike, the 2 "playground tractor beam" shots are precious! Really sharp, too, and the OOF areas look great. When I click on the link for the full-size pano, I get a "content protected by owner" message, which was not the case yesterday.

J.Scott, beneath my pano there is a link to a larger version... it's the only way to see the snow falling.

Are you sure that's a (Damn)Red-necked Grebe? I thought it was a Horned Grebe in breeding plumage. They look similar, though, so it's hard for me to tell.

That day I was shooting, a guy approached me asking "what kind of ducks are those?" He had never seen them before, and he described himself as an avid fisherman. We wound up having a brief conversation about the new birds we've seen locally over the last few years, Grebes, Cormorants, Hooded Mergansers, European Starlings, Eagles... it's really something to observe and note the changing ecology.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #24

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
My next 3:

"Glenn Fly" :lol:

Well-worn out

A sure sign of Spring is when the creepy-crawlies enter the house...

Spider on the Ceiling

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #25

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
If you don't like those two names how about 'Lust Monster'? :w00t:
Sorry, no banjo pickin' going' on 'round here.

I see the link to the pano. It really is sharp and clear.
Nice stitching job; don't see any threads at all!

Now you got me thinking about the other Grebe.
I'll check some other ident. books I have.

I like the kitty asleep on the book.
Both look worn out. Good title.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #26

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
J.Scott wrote:
If you don't like those two names how about 'Lust Monster'? :w00t:
Sorry, no banjo pickin' going' on 'round here.

I see the link to the pano. It really is sharp and clear.
Nice stitching job; don't see any threads at all!

Now you got me thinking about the other Grebe.
I'll check some other ident. books I have.

I like the kitty asleep on the book.
Both look worn out. Good title.

"Lust Monster" sounds :w00t: , but I can't do it for 2 reasons: 1) my g/f would laugh so hard she'd probably have a stroke, and 2) I'm afraid I'd get sued.

I used The Panorama Factory for the pano. I did a good job of lining things up - I usually don't - so the software was able to run on full auto.

Lens used was Pentax M 28/3.5, so that pretty much guarantees a sharp pic.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #27

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
Mike, the 2 "playground tractor beam" shots are precious! Really sharp, too, and the OOF areas look great.

thanks LM&tiff for the comments. She is my 2yr old daughter and while her 2 bros were at soccer practice, she and daddy took a walk to the play structure for some climbin', hangin', & slidin'.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #28

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Holly cats! I turn my back on this thread for a few hours and you guys are just killing me with the images. Look's like it's 'game on' this week. I'll have to do a summary tonight. But for now it's back to house projects.

I got this one yesterday as I'm trying to shoot wildflowers with my 100mm macro lens this month.

IMGP9172 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #29

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
Are you sure that's a (Damn)Red-necked Grebe? I thought it was a Horned Grebe in breeding plumage. They look similar, though, so it's hard for me to tell.

I stand corrected. Both are Horned Grebes, one in winter plumage one in breeding colours. Good call!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #30

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
BCB- Nice BW oppenner.
Tiff- I really like the layers shot , it make me "feel" cold with a long way to go.
Jimbo- The reeds is an awsome shot, PRINT IT!
Mike -first bridge shot is cool. It seems like yesterday that "Demon Spawn 3" was tiny and cute like your daughter! Spend as much time as you can ..they grow up real fast.
Lost - if you want to make positive identification of a redneck grebe you have to observe it's feeding habits. If it puts brown gravy on it's taters probably not but if it puts white gravy on bisquits ya got a redneck grebe.

Different parts of the Country have their local official start of Spring. Round here BBQ competions mean it's Spring. The first of these competitions happened this weekend.

IMGP3210.jpg

IMGP3257.jpg

IMGP3259.jpg
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by DamnRedneck.
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds