Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #46

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Friendly Photon wrote:
lostminstrel wrote:
"Montreal Moonless Skyline" might be beautiful, but I need to see a larger version. :p
Added a link below the image to a larger version.

Thanks.

We need to get you into p'nography. :o
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #47

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Pano week? Hmmm...I think not. But it occurs to me that we might want to do a pano challenge. It's been a while since we did a focused contest. If we did, I think it would be good to have some training on them. I suck at them and it's on my to do list to once and for all learn to do them. Thoughts?

I think it would be fun. I'm not good at them, so I could certainly use pointers. I mean, it's fairly easy to do a straightforward pano with today's software, but the more frames involved, the tougher it gets. I also think that some panos, like shots with UWA lenses, are conceptually unfocused. I know that I am often guilty of that.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #48

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Friendly Photon wrote:
lostminstrel wrote:
"Montreal Moonless Skyline" might be beautiful, but I need to see a larger version. :p
Added a link below the image to a larger version.

Thanks, I can even tell the lights on top of Mont Royal are a cross. Great shot!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #49

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Pano week? Hmmm...I think not. But it occurs to me that we might want to do a pano challenge. It's been a while since we did a focused contest. If we did, I think it would be good to have some training on them. I suck at them and it's on my to do list to once and for all learn to do them. Thoughts?
But it's FREE to learn! (well, except for the time required)

You're right that a pano contest might currently exclude some people. But we do have a few pano-makers among us. Kelowna Artist has created some breath-taking panos, lostminstrel seems to generate some great ones every once in a while, I've been known to dabble in them once in a while, and now mikeSF has jumped in with both feet by trying out a 67-image monster.

(p.s. mikeSF, you do remember that you have some wider lenses in your bag, right?)
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #50

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
Just to clear up any potential confusion, that's not a pano I posted. It's just a crop from my 15mm lens. It's a full-width picture, but I cropped out a massive amount of sky and foreground.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 3 weeks ago #51

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
Friendly Photon wrote:
lostminstrel wrote:
Just to clear up any potential confusion, that's not a pano I posted. It's just a crop from my 15mm lens. It's a full-width picture, but I cropped out a massive amount of sky and foreground.

That's what I mean... we need to get you to cut the crop crap and pano pano pano!!!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #52

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
As host of this TW3, I want to go on record as saying that the last few posts and there puns make me feel.:bleh:

(They are good though.)

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #53

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
That's what I mean... we need to get you to cut the crop crap and pano pano pano!!!
too time-consuming. I rarely do panos. But I do tackle them once in a while:

(not a submission, I already used this in a previous TW3 last year)

Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Friendly Photon.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #54

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Wow, nice use of lines in this shot.It really is effective.

So, I'll ask again do we want to have a pano shootout (or reach for the pano when I say w i d e)?

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #55

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Just to clarify a few points:
-Elvis is Ryder Preston who is actually pretty highly regarded in Elvis impersonator circles.
- The guys in blast off were climbing into the ride behind me while I was watching my daughter on another ride. They had a too confident look so I had to shoot em There were a whole bunch of kids that bought those goofy hats at the pig pickin , my foster kid said "."they are very stylish and keep my ears warm too".
- The dude SF Mike is worried about was taking pics of Elvis and just had a unique look about him. I don't think he is a terrorist but hey you never know.
- The pointy faced fish guy is the mascot for the Morehead City Marlins a college tournament ball team. Gotta love a town called Morehead City!

Ahh life in Mayberry :-)
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by DamnRedneck.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #56

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Wow, nice use of lines in this shot.It really is effective.

So, I'll ask again do we want to have a pano shootout (or reach for the pano when I say w i d e)?

Aye.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #57

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
This may be the ideal time for panos (or pseudo-panos), since Winter is losing its grip... even if some of us are currently being inundated with rain.

So I say yes.

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #58

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Here is my brief summary so far.

MikeSF - The SF at night images are wonderful. I think Bridge and Reflection is the best although I'm an easy cell for the GGB. Very nice stuff. Your squirrel is a nice capture and the look is interesting. I love the soft b&w treatment of the three images as it adds to the quality of these imgages. The two of your daughter are also a lot of fun particularly the second one where it looks like she is about to get sucked in! Cool.

Tiffpix - three literally cool shots of the bucket brigade! I've never seen this in person so these are fun. While the drips are cool, I like the first shot because of the lighting on the tree, it just works very well. Not that excited about the field in snow or fungus, but your sepia silhouette is very nice and has a good old time look to it.

Jimbo - good work as always with you, but your the first shot of the ? weeds in water is really good PPG stuff. Wow, it pops. The forest is fine but the first reflection shot is clearly great. The Bittern is a great shot considering how hard it is to see one. Nice profile of this shy bird, well done. Jim your three flowing water shots a very nice but I'm more particular to the first one where you have movement and fixed objects in it. It provides more context, still though it takes skill to know how much movement to show and these are a very nice balance of that.

LM - your two snow scenes are just darned good images. I like the Cormorant shot the best as the softness of that image evokes holiday card quality. Really cool. The eagle, you are so lucky. and that's a nice BIF shot. Are you paying that cat to pose? You should as he always seems to find the right lighting for you. That's one big spider and the selective focus makes it seem bigger. Nice.

DRN - thanks for showing us spring in your neck of the world. Love that bbq shot, mmmmm...what goes into a red sauce? Love the marlin guy but the two shots of Elvis and the man shooting him are interesting people studies. It would have been cool to get a shot of that guy and Elvis together. Interesting. I think though that the AAAAAHH shot is the best as it tells the story in one shot. Nice.

FP - Driving and doing photography are well difficult. I like the sunset and road composition (you WERE stopped right?). I'm in agreement with the remarks about the mending things looking like stock photography, excellent detail and focus. Your three night shots of Montreal are nice but the first one is quite literally stellar.

So far so good. Keep 'em coming and bury me!

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #59

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
blackcloudbrew wrote:

DRN - thanks for showing us spring in your neck of the world. Love that bbq shot, mmmmm...what goes into a red sauce?
I live in Eastern NC and BBQ around here is allmost allways served chopped with a vinegar based sauce. When they refer to Red Sauce they mean a tomatoe based BBQ sauce that is used in most parts of the country ( what most folks not from here think of when they hear the term BBQ sauce). That company also makes a mustard based sauce simillar to what I used to have to go to the scary part of Riviera Beach FL to get.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by DamnRedneck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcloudbrew

Re: TW3.38, APRIL 2, 2011, Hosted by BlackCloudBrew - Spring Ed. 6 years 2 weeks ago #60

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Got it. Just never heard that term. Of course, BBQ has yet another meaning in Texas. Anyway, regional difference in terms never cease to amaze me. Thanks.

Tim
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds