Welcome, Guest
Welcome!

TOPIC: New From Upstate New york

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #1

• Rena
Hello!
My name is Lorena and I have 4 boys and recently seperated from my husband of 18 yrs. I live in upstate NY. I have a home daycare and I love being a mom!

I own a Pentax Kx 12 mp SLR. All I have is the basic lens it came with right now. I've owned it for about 5 months and tooken a ton of pics of mostly my kids and daycare kids. I have 2 boys very involved with baseball and basketball. I'm looking for some advise on lenses to buy for sports shots.

My username is Rena cause the kids always call me rena when they're little casue it's hard to say the L.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #2

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Welcome! So do you prefer Rena or Lorena? I can't give you any advice on lenses, I'll leave that to the more experienced members. I've only had my Kx for a couple months myself. I'm pretty impressed with the kit lens overall, but I agree you could do more with some different lens choices.

Let us see some of your pics! :)

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #3

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Hi Rena, Where upstate? I spent my college years in Ithaca and some time in Elmira .
Welcome aboard.Have a look around and don't hessitate to post questions you'll get plenty of answers.I also shoot Pentax and do lots of kidsports stuff so as a quick answer,you'll need a zoom that goes to 300mm for baseball and a fast lens for indoor basketball . Post questions in the beginners or lens sections and you'll get plenty of replies. Most importantly , enjoy your camera and this site!

Re: New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #4

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Welcome to the site. Oh-oh, another mom with camera on the loose! [LOL]

Love to see your work. Please join in on the that was the week that was thread:
[url:jnoecdf0]www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290[/url]

Tim

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #5

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Welcome aboard Lorena,

My best advice with Pentax lenses is just wait until people start giving you there old lenses. Plus watch the thrift stores. There's a good chance that you'll have to buy a screwmount adapter then, make sure that it's a Genuine Pentax otherwise you'll have problems.

I've had a few incredible lenses given to me, plus found several thrift store gems.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #6

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Welcome to FPZ, glad you found us. :)
Giving lens advice will be easier if you can be more specific.
What sports do you want to shoot, what other shooting do you want to do etc?
I just saw the pics you posted in your other thread [url:11maqv4e]friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=293[/url], you seem to have all the basics sorted, good exposure and focus, and you have a pretty good eye for a picture already.
It's very easy to get carried away buying lenses, especially with Pentax because there are so many good lenses available on the used market. I myself have a cupboard full of lenses but 90% of the time I only use two and all my needs could be satisfied with four probably, and I shoot a lot.

If you feel like jumping into the thick of things, perhaps you'd be interested in being a judge for a reason shooting contest we had. Here's a link to the thread with the details - [url:11maqv4e]www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291[/url]

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #7

• Rena
DamnRedneck wrote:
Hi Rena, Where upstate? I spent my college years in Ithaca and some time in Elmira .
Welcome aboard.Have a look around and don't hessitate to post questions you'll get plenty of answers.I also shoot Pentax and do lots of kidsports stuff so as a quick answer,you'll need a zoom that goes to 300mm for baseball and a fast lens for indoor basketball . Post questions in the beginners or lens sections and you'll get plenty of replies. Most importantly , enjoy your camera and this site!

Yeah I live in Waterloo. I'm about a 40 min drive to Ithaca. Thanks for the heads up on the lenses. I'll post a more detailed question in the beginers section. Thanks!

Re: New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #8

Welcome FPZ Rena,

Nice area you live in. I remember visiting upNewYork when I was in Michigan a few years ago. Letchwork and Watkins Glen were highly photogenic. There were also a couple of parks close to Niagara Falls that they were very nice.

New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #9

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Rena wrote:
Yeah I live in Waterloo. I'm about a 40 min drive to Ithaca. Thanks for the heads up on the lenses. I'll post a more detailed question in the beginers section. Thanks!
Hey my wife and I used to drive right by there on our way to Saratoga. She was living there for about a year back in 2004 while I lived and southern Quebec, and we commuted back and forth frequently. Now we're both in southern Quebec (right at the border, just north of Plattsburgh).

Welcome to our community!
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #10

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Hi Rena,

I'm not a Pentax man, but I can say a few words about kids' sport photography that cross brand lines. My niece played soccer for many years.

If you're outdoors in daylight, then you can do most everything you need with an inexpensive ~$249 USD (cheaper used) medium zoom that every major brand produces a version of. While I've no direct experience with Pentax's 50-200mm f4-5.6, I expect it should perform very much in the ballpark as Nikon's 55-200mm f4-5.6, which served my sister well for a solid couple years on the soccer pitch. On an APS-C sensor like the Kx's, 200mm is quite workable. Baseball is, long as it's during the day, not hard to cover on the hardware end.

Indoors though, is a different story.

No matter how well-lit you think an interior space intended for normal activity is, it's several degrees harder on a camera. I recently shot at my niece's high school graduation, which took place in their school gym with its typical gym lighting. The lighting did vary a little, but I was never even a stop better than f4, 1/125th sec and ISO 3200, and I was shooting subjects moving considerably slower than young basketball players. A fast, constant aperture medium long zoom is what you need to even contemplate action shooting indoors, and not only are they expensive, they're large and heavy.

My sister did eventually cave and buy a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for night games, as there was no way she could shoot at them otherwise.

Re: New From Upstate New york 8 years 4 weeks ago #11

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:
While I've no direct experience with Pentax's 50-200mm f4-5.6, I expect it should perform very much in the ballpark as Nikon's 55-200mm f4-5.6, which served my sister well for a solid couple years on the soccer pitch.
Just a quick note: in the Pentax range, the 55-300mm is optically far superior to the 50-200mm, and it costs less too if you get it in a cheap L variant. (DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8). The 50-200mm is weather resistant, but that's pointless on a K-x.
Photons are your friends! :-)
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds